Mar 21, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
The Bruins certainly aren’t getting their hopes up, but coach Claude Julien — like team president Cam Neely the day before — on Friday wouldn’t rule out the possibility that defenseman Dennis Seidenberg could rejoin the Boston lineup during the playoffs.
The German defenseman had surgery for a torn right ACL/MCL in early January after injuring his knee in a Dec. 27 game against the Ottawa Senators, and the Bruins said at the time he was done for the year.
The best-case scenario is that Seidenberg wouldn’t be ready until deep into a Boston playoff run, and even then there would be some hesitation to parachute someone who hadn’t played in six months into the most important games of the year.
Of late, the Bruins have been doing just fine without Seidenberg. And that’s an understatement. They head into tonight’s game with the Avs on a 10-game winning streak, a streak that’s pushed them four points ahead of Pittsburgh for the top seed in the East.
There does, however, remain concern that Boston’s back end — featuring the likes of Matt Bartkowski, Kevan Miller, Dougie Hamilton, and Torey Krug — lacks the requisite experience to excel in the playoffs.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)