Mar 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
There should be no shortage of motivation for the San Jose Sharks heading into tonight’s home game versus the Anaheim Ducks.
Oh, and their last meeting with the Ducks wasn’t a great effort either.
From the Mercury News:
Two nights after an impressive 3-1 home victory over the Ducks, San Jose was thumped 6-3 in Anaheim on Dec. 31 in a game that left virtually all players and coaches in disgust. The Sharks allowed three goals in an awful second period and two more to start the third as they fell seven points behind the first-place Ducks.
Sharks coach Todd McLellan, in unwavering terms, challenged his players after that game to think about their roles and what they bring to the team. Since then, the Sharks are 20-9-1, absorbing a long-term injury to Tomas Hertl and a shorter-term injury to Logan Couture, to move into a first-place tie in the division with the Ducks with 97 points.
Anaheim is a pedestrian 9-9-2 in its last 20 games — this after starting out 36-8-5 and building a 13-point cushion on the Sharks.
The winner of the Pacific Division will face one of the two Western Conference wild-card teams in the first round of the playoffs, while second place is likely to face the Kings.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)