Mar 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
There should be no shortage of motivation for the San Jose Sharks heading into tonight’s home game versus the Anaheim Ducks.
Oh, and their last meeting with the Ducks wasn’t a great effort either.
From the Mercury News:
Two nights after an impressive 3-1 home victory over the Ducks, San Jose was thumped 6-3 in Anaheim on Dec. 31 in a game that left virtually all players and coaches in disgust. The Sharks allowed three goals in an awful second period and two more to start the third as they fell seven points behind the first-place Ducks.
Sharks coach Todd McLellan, in unwavering terms, challenged his players after that game to think about their roles and what they bring to the team. Since then, the Sharks are 20-9-1, absorbing a long-term injury to Tomas Hertl and a shorter-term injury to Logan Couture, to move into a first-place tie in the division with the Ducks with 97 points.
Anaheim is a pedestrian 9-9-2 in its last 20 games — this after starting out 36-8-5 and building a 13-point cushion on the Sharks.
The winner of the Pacific Division will face one of the two Western Conference wild-card teams in the first round of the playoffs, while second place is likely to face the Kings.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 0
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 7
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 39
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)