Mar 20, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Twenty-two. That’s how many consecutive seasons the Detroit Red Wings have qualified for the NHL playoffs. The last time the postseason started without them, Driving Miss Daisy had just won Best Picture at the Academy Awards.
According to Sports Club Stats, there’s a 44.8 percent chance the Wings’ streak will be pushed to 23. Which, of course, means there’s a 55.2 percent chance it won’t be.
And, oh yeah, if the Wings are to claw their way back in, they’ll have to do it starting tonight versus Pittsburgh, and with an injury list that looks like this:
A few key guys there.
“There’s been times when we’ve had guys out, but not like this,” Helm said, per MLive.com. “To have almost every one of our centers from the start of the year be out right now, and seeing Johnny go out, I don’t want to say it’s comical, but it’s unbelievable.
“You can’t really explain what’s happening with this team, but the guys that are in the lineup have been doing a good job, so once everyone is back healthy we’ll make a good push.”
The good news for the Wings is they’re only one point back of Columbus, which currently holds down the final wild-card spot in the East, and the other wild-card team, Toronto, is wobbling on the verge of another epic collapse.
Detroit’s remaining schedule is a bit of an odd one. Two games against Pittsburgh. Two against Minnesota. Two against Montreal. And two against Buffalo. In addition to the four pairs, there are all-important singles versus Columbus and Toronto, plus Tampa Bay, Boston, Carolina and St. Louis.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)