Skip to content

Playoff bubble watch — Red Wings edition

Mar 20, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT

Twenty-two. That’s how many consecutive seasons the Detroit Red Wings have qualified for the NHL playoffs. The last time the postseason started without them, Driving Miss Daisy had just won Best Picture at the Academy Awards.

According to Sports Club Stats, there’s a 44.8 percent chance the Wings’ streak will be pushed to 23. Which, of course, means there’s a 55.2 percent chance it won’t be.

And, oh yeah, if the Wings are to claw their way back in, they’ll have to do it starting tonight versus Pittsburgh, and with an injury list that looks like this:

source:

A few key guys there.

“There’s been times when we’ve had guys out, but not like this,” Helm said, per MLive.com. “To have almost every one of our centers from the start of the year be out right now, and seeing Johnny go out, I don’t want to say it’s comical, but it’s unbelievable.

“You can’t really explain what’s happening with this team, but the guys that are in the lineup have been doing a good job, so once everyone is back healthy we’ll make a good push.”

The good news for the Wings is they’re only one point back of Columbus, which currently holds down the final wild-card spot in the East, and the other wild-card team, Toronto, is wobbling on the verge of another epic collapse.

Detroit’s remaining schedule is a bit of an odd one. Two games against Pittsburgh. Two against Minnesota. Two against Montreal. And two against Buffalo. In addition to the four pairs, there are all-important singles versus Columbus and Toronto, plus Tampa Bay, Boston, Carolina and St. Louis.

  1. joey4id - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM

    An unhealthy Wings team cannot win 10 of their last 14 games. If they would have been healthy throughout parts of the season they would be much closer, and would have a shot at it. Too bad they won’t benefit from the eastern time zone during a playoff their first year in the east.

    • 11111111111a22 - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM

      They weren’t in much better shape last year (minus the injuries). Just need Howie to go full-retard for a couple weeks and steal a handful of games again.

      • joey4id - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:12 PM

        Honestly! I hope they make it. They are one of my favorite organizations.

      • c9castine - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM

        ehh…they were in better shape. i really want them to make it too, i think youll find the majority of pittsburgh has a lot of respect for the detroit organization.

        but if the real penguins show up tonight they are screwed. might as well make that number 10 of the last 13. then again, maybe the penguins of last weekend will show up and you guys can take an easy 2.

  2. pastabelly - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:23 PM

    I would like to see this Bruins 29 year record streak stand. Go Rangers, Flyers, Leafs, Jackets. :)

  3. JoeAvg - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM

    Brough has morphed into blomfeld before our very eyes!

  4. pete387 - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

    Welcome to the Eastern Conference, Red Wings.

    • 101starmymedic - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM

      Lol. This is the dumbest comment yet. Like being in the East has anything to do with 12 injuries.

    • isphet71 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM

      Thanks for the warm welcome. If the Wings were in the Western Conference still, they would have about 10 less points and be about 5 positions out of the playoffs right now. The move to the NHL Least couldn’t have come at a better time for the Wings.

      • pastabelly - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:59 PM

        It’s great that Wings fans don’t have to stay up late too much anymore to see their team struggle.

  5. muckleflugga - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:30 PM

    polish the clubs and tune up the cart … joey4id has delivered another weighty pronouncement

    no sireeee … i’m off to my bookie to do some serious hedging

    missing in the speculation is expected performance of other teams scrambling for the same spots … all skewed by by wants and needs of teams at the top playing with seeding potential and first round opponents

    this while resting damaged assets

    • polegojim - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM

      Miss or make… the Wings are regularly competitive even with their top dog damaged assets.

      We don’t care about ‘top tiers playing with seeding potential’, we care about the bottom of the Wild card playing below their potential… which is not a stretch.

      Toronto 4-5-1
      Columbus 6-3-1
      Washington 5-4-1

      They’re no better than the Wings… so don’t go hedging just yet there Mr Hog. I believe Blue Jacket fans are going to need straight-jackets by the time it’s over.

      I like this team now… and in the future, no matter what happens this year.

      Go RED WING!

Featured video

Worst team in the NHL?

Sign up for Fantasy hockey

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. C. Crawford (2976)
  2. A. Kopitar (2737)
  3. E. Staal (2435)
  4. M. Gaborik (2393)
  5. E. Kane (2247)
  1. P. Stastny (2179)
  2. N. Foligno (2083)
  3. D. Backes (2001)
  4. D. Heatley (1952)
  5. V. Nichushkin (1873)