Parise expecting boos in first game back in New Jersey

Mar 20, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild Introduce Zach Parise and Ryan Suter - Press Conference Getty Images

Former Devils captain Zach Parise will play in New Jersey tonight for the first time since leaving two years ago — and he’s not expecting a warm reception from the Prudential Center faithful.

From NorthJersey.com:

Parise said if he is booed, “I’m fine with it.”

“I’m expecting it,” he said. “It’s fine. They’re passionate about their team and it’s understandable. I guess if they wouldn’t even care to acknowledge that I was back, that would be a little different.”

Parise’s good friends Andy Greene and Travis Zajac joked that they hope the crowd does boo him.

“They’re not really helping out my cause,” Parise said.

Parise bolted during the summer of 2012 by signing one of the largest deals in NHL history with Minnesota. It was a contentious split — just months prior to signing with the Wild, Parise helped the Devils reach the Stanley Cup final for the first time in nine years.

The departure also came after Parise was named the ninth captain in franchise history. He was awarded the “C” with the idea he’d be part of the franchise long-term, something Martin Brodeur referenced when Parise’s captaincy was announced.

“He’s got to stay here. That’s the bottom line,” Brodeur said, per the Star-Ledger. “That’s how we’re going to know how good he is as a captain.”

Devils GM Lou Lamoriello has remained tight-lipped about Parise’s departure, saying “it’s unfortunate, but it’s part of the business.” Some have blamed Parise for a lack of loyalty to the organization (Lamoriello said the team’s offer was “competitive” to the 13-year, $98 million deal Parise signed with the Wild) while others have blamed the Devils for not doing enough to retain their captain’s services.

All that said, New Jersey still sounds as though it’s a big part of Parise. He sounds like he cherished his time with the Devils and expects tonight to be an emotional one — even if there are boos.

“You’re going to see a lot of people I haven’t seen in a long time as far as their staff and their players. I’m looking forward to that. I have a lot of good friends there,” he explained. “I think it will be pretty emotional for me at the start, just a lot of really good memories from playing here.”

1. bildomac07 - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM

He’ll get booed for sure, it happens every time a guy leaves for another organization. Heck Seguin got booed all game returning to Boston and he didn’t leave Boston by choice, he got traded to Dallas!

• 950003cups - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Forget Parise. Devils fans will be too busy booing their own team. Playoff hunt and they drop 3 in a row? Maybe we should all be Wild fans for a night. That’ll send a clear message to Lamoriello.

• guitarisgood4u - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Sounds like Islanders fans the other night.

2. hockey412 - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Family > Career. Hard to boo someone that found a way to bring them together. Doesn’t happen too often in professional sports. I’m sure some will find a way, though.

• oquintero99 - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM

At $98 million dollars, I doubt Parise was thinking about family (maybe for the long run yes, but not to play in front of family). NJ was not going to pony up that amount of cash (at least with the previous owner).

• hockey412 - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I don’t think Parise just went with the highest bidder there. Actually he gave family as a reason following the signing. He mentioned all throughout the free agency scramble that money was only one of the factors involved, not the only factor. He grew up what, 20 minutes from there, his Dad played there (North Stars). The guy is married, and spends a lot of time travelling for career – not sure about kids but being near family is important. I’d bet you’re wrong.

Remember his options were not NJ or the Wild…everyone had skin in that game.

• credible316 - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM

“NJ was not going to pony up that amount of cash”

Did you even read the article or did you just skip right to the comment section?

• oquintero99 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Oh yes I read the article and I formulated an opinion. Was he expecting to get cheers? Either way, I know Parise is a good guy. If NJ’s offer had been better, he would of stayed in NJ.

I do miss however, players staying in a team for the whole career. I think Brodeur, Zetterberg, Datsyuk might be one of the few players that play in one organization through their career.

• clarke16 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Biggest $$$ offer came from team in his hometown–where he wanted to be. It’s a no-brainer–just like what any fan holds in their skull who would boo the man for making such a decision. He gets to play in front of a beeming JP every night for big $$$. Why wouldn’t ya?

• 950003cups - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I could see why he would rather be home. Only if where he’s living there is close to where he actually grew up. However, I don’t actually believe it. If NJs offer was “competitive” to Wild’s, then I’ll just assume it was slightly lower without the massive signing bonus. With that being said, taxes in NJ must be wayyyyy higher than Minnesota, which affects the bottom line, which it, how much does he get to keep. My guess is, a lot more. NJ is horrible when it comes to taxes. They rank top 3 in almost EVERY TAX CATEGORY IN THE COUNTRY!!!

• 950003cups - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:01 PM

ok, that little rant makes me wanna move outta here myself!!! But the seaside is nice, and my only other choices are NYC and Philly. NYC is worse in taxes, and Philly is, well…. Philly

• 950003cups - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM

and hell yeah I’m gonna boo him. It’s tradition. But, If I had $98,000,000 a few boos once in a while aren’t gonna shed any tears from me.

3. sjsharks66 - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM

If the Devils offered him a ridiculous contract like Minny did, he would have stayed. He is going to get booed. Well deserved in my opinion. You go to the Finals and lose in game 6 then your captain bolts away? I would be pretty upset also.

4. rushledger - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM

He deserves to get booed.

5. polkhigh4life - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM

He left because NJ wasn’t willing to take on his BFF (a mediocre D-men)….. A guy who wasn’t even the top Defensemen on his team….Parise, he’s just a selfish blank…..I hope some1 throws something at him….he wants to be close to home….buy a home in NJ…..bring you’re whole family…..don’t gimme this bs about NJ NOT GIVING ENOUGH MONEY……the decision was made b4 the “C” was even sewn on his jersey

• lbeezyse - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Wow you’re either a terrible troll or just another clueless hockey fan. It has been well documented that: 1. Parise & Suter have played together since teenagers for the USA and wanted to team up again & MN gave them the best opportunity (whichhappened to be close to home for both). 2. Suter didn’t want to play in NJ and Parise didn’t want to play in Nashville. 3. Minnesota clearly made the most sense to them with their youth(Brodin, Granlund, Coyle, Fontaine, Spurgeon, Scandella, Keumper, Haula et al.) and lack of payroll on the books coming up (see. Pommer signing and having 16+ million this offseason coupled with an owner who will spend to the cap). 4. It is very well documented that Philly, Det, Pitt, NJ, Boston among other wanted in on 1 or both. 5. To call Suter a mediocre at best D-man is pure ignorance. He got snubbed in the Norris vote last year & he will finish top 3 again this year. 6. How is Weber and Nash fairing since Suter left? Alas, Parise is probably one of the most standup guys in the league. You will not find many people that are a more quality human being than him. Fool.

• lbeezyse - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Also, it is well known that there were other offers out there for more $ and years than each settled with.

• 950003cups - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Didn’t Shea Weber try to sneak out of Nashville via offer sheet?

• lbeezyse - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I believe he did…..But if you ask a Nashville fan it was to leverage the GM(Pollie)’s hand into a new contract. I call B.S.

• hockey412 - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM

So, when you say “polkhigh4life”, you are being serious, that you’ll most likely be in Polk High School for the rest of your life…if so, that’s the only thing you’ve said that I agree with.

• 950003cups - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM

That was Al Bundy’s high school. The one where he scored 4 touchdowns in one game and had many offers to junior colleges.

6. polkhigh4life - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:02 PM

And if Kovy never left no1 would be saying anything about the Devils….because the Devils made the right decision between them……

OOOO and anyone who posts on this site…..spelling lesson

Offense is the correct spelling, as is Defense…..

I can’t believe how many idiots spell it defence and offence

But I guess they’re many Philly fans on this site….and well , can’t expect much from them….

• spiciercheez - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:11 PM

How are you going to correct anyone’s spelling with that chicken scratch you just wrote? “some1″? “you’re” when it would clearly be “your”…..thanks for the entertainment though.

• hockey412 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Actually, they are most likely Canadian, becuase that is the proper spelling for them.

Social Studies lesson for ya – we don’t all share the same spelling.

• 950003cups - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:49 PM

You should. Our’s is the best!!! AMERYKAH…. F’ YEAH!!!!

• ignath - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Cmon cups, get it right…it’s ‘MURICA!

7. restohpens - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I found the American.

Polk: Defense is the American spelling, defence is how many other countries spell it including but not limited to Australia, Britain, and Canada.

So maybe before posting on this site try not to sound like an ignorant American.

• 950003cups - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM

ohhhhhhh! Dems fightin’ words!

You K-Nuks’ bout to get a national ass whoopin’

I’m gonna copy/paste your comment and send it to Obama! He don’t take no crap from no Canadians. Only Russians!!

8. idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Go “No Show!” Go!

9. purpleguy - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I wouldn’t blame NJ fans one bit for booing Parise, regardless of the reason why he left, as the simple fact that he was the one that decided to leave is reason enough. As a Wild fan, I’m still glad he left (and turned down higher offers from at least 2 other teams). At least we’ll all know for sure when Parise has the puck tonight.

10. polkhigh4life - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Sorry, I’m a AMERICAN sports fan….not the creator of the dictionary….2 posts….and YOURE is all you have to take from it…. When the countries you mention become the Mecca for the 4 major sports then I will spell like a moron also…. When the Seahawks are punting, THEIR DEFENSE comes out….. When SOMEONE!!! Beats the living hell out of you, you don’t go in to defencive mode….De-Fence is what keeps you off my lawn…..American site…American language….that’s an ignorant American….I was simply stating something I had a problem with….. I’ll take it to Football Talk where many Canadians and Russians and whatever other countries you mentioned, you know true NFL countries, what with all the teams you immigrants have…..

• yetidad - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Pokey

Please quit while you’re still visible in the rear view mirror.

• shortsxit34 - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:53 PM

As an American, *you’re* an idiot. Take your own advice when it comes to spelling. Hell, most web browsers have a built-in spell checker–you should take notice of all those sections with the red underlines.

• ffrey3660 - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Give it a rest Bundy! Your dislike for him doesn’t make you a expert a the game or his intentions. I remember a zit faced super star that stated that he wanted to stay with the Wild and left 3 seconds into free agency. This happens in all sports, always has and always will. Now go up stairs your mom want you to take out the trash = U.

11. polkhigh4life - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM

My opinion @beeeze……when did I say Suter was coming to NJ….I simply said Parise was going to Minny with his BFF….way before the Finals started, Well before the season…..and Suter’s worth 98 million….I watched Weber win a gold medal….I watched Suter score IN THE WRONG GOAL!!!!…I know, it’s a one time thing……and watched Parise help Captain one of the worst , quitting performances in what has to be Olympic history…..oh and I didn’t know you get points for almost or probably winning something….if I’m an idiot….what are you…you respond to me with 3 different points of which I never even brought up….

• valhallavictory - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM

It is a net, buddy. A goal is the result of putting the puck into a net.

• spiciercheez - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Hey man….where do you get your stuff? Who is your dealer? I want some cause it seems like it is awesome!!!

12. vstar1us - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM

While you all worry about spell check, was that a BS call against Prosser, or how ever you spell his name. The guy was coming in to take his head off and all he did was protect him self. When the refs get fined for BS calls then we will start seeing better calls. The stripes are never held accountable.
    Oh, as a vet of 32 plus years, it is Merica’ and after four tours in crapy Afghanistan I earned the right to say it that way.
    Merica’ where most are spineless and only 1% serve….

• valhallavictory - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Pretty crappy call for a game misc. I’ve always wondered (usually pertaining to the NFL though) if officials or the league review bad calls and other mistakes. Hockey is a tough one to officiate but that was rough one for the wild.

13. polkhigh4life - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Must be the most comments one hockey post ever….and it all has to do with the spelling of defense/defence and my hate for a disloyal jerk…I guess I can say jerk on here….and all of y’all have soiled yourself….complaining about capital letters, my mom telling me to take out the garbage????….. Your mom jokes huh????…..YOU’RE about 13 years late….I love it….I’m like the Stephen A of this site with a bunch of lil Skip Bayless’ who probably know more than hockey about me (outside of NJ)….yet still maybe 2 valid points out of 27 responses….yet they have nothing to do with anything I’m saying….now we have a fake war veteran in here….bs….a real Vet. wouldn’t respond to petty people like me….c’mon guys…I’ll help you out…. If you want to irritate me try something other than going after my use of Capital letters, and MAKE A BETTER POINT THEN “HE ALMOST and PROBABLY will win!!!!….ooo and I wouldn’t focus on my mom…wouldn’t care if she dropped dead tomorrow….

14. polkhigh4life - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM

No more tough talk….please….you/me ain’t….that’s right ain’t…gonna do ish….I’m in Woodbridge, NJ…..make sure you’re over 18….otherwise shut up…I mean mom jokes, fake Army guys…something to do with taking out the garbage…I have enough issues….I don’t need a bunch of typewriting tough guys that’ll never do nothing but keep talking….I prefer if people spell defense the way it should be..when I go on the British Pro Sports Talk I’ll spell it your way…how can you have a problem with me educating y’all…..then you make things up….he should’ve won, he’s gonna Win??”?????….. What does that mean

15. polkhigh4life - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Now I’m an expert….I missed that one….I’m an expert at spelling…. If you want to spell it defence like the British do go for it…y’all finally broke me….I might be ridiculous today, but you guys’ll be stupid forever….

16. polkhigh4life - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Can’t I just hate a guy who odds are that they’ll play in mediocrity forever a 2nd round exit every year…rather than for one of the winningest organizations in the NHL….I know I know…. We’re not….1 Cup appearance every 6 years….absolute garbage….

Top 10 NHL Player Searches