Mar 20, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
It’s been a long wait for Rick Nash to return to Columbus after being traded to the New York Rangers in July 2012, but he didn’t deny that his first game against the Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena will be more than a typical game.
Even so, he also admitted to the Columbus Dispatch that the gap in time takes some of zest out of it.
“It’s a different situation,” Nash said. “Most guys get traded, and it seems like they’re right back there playing with their new team in a few weeks. For me it’s been so long (since the trade) that it’s lost some of the feeling for me. What’s it been, a year and six months? A year and eight months? It’ll be fun to be back in Nationwide. It’s been so long since I’ve been there.”
(Strangely enough, Zach Parise is in a somewhat similar situation on Thursday. He faces the Devils in New Jersey for the first time since leaving for Minnesota in free agency because that opportunity didn’t come about last season.)
Despite the lag in time, Nash played in a franchise-record 674 games with the Blue Jackets, so there’s no doubt that it will still be a meaningful evening for the player and his former team. It sounds like he’s looking forward to a possible tribute video, too.
“It’s going to be one of those major moments that I’ll never forget,” Nash said. “If they do something like that, it’ll be fun to reminisce, see how they put all the memories and the years together.”
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 1
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)