Mar 20, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
It’s been a long wait for Rick Nash to return to Columbus after being traded to the New York Rangers in July 2012, but he didn’t deny that his first game against the Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena will be more than a typical game.
Even so, he also admitted to the Columbus Dispatch that the gap in time takes some of zest out of it.
“It’s a different situation,” Nash said. “Most guys get traded, and it seems like they’re right back there playing with their new team in a few weeks. For me it’s been so long (since the trade) that it’s lost some of the feeling for me. What’s it been, a year and six months? A year and eight months? It’ll be fun to be back in Nationwide. It’s been so long since I’ve been there.”
(Strangely enough, Zach Parise is in a somewhat similar situation on Thursday. He faces the Devils in New Jersey for the first time since leaving for Minnesota in free agency because that opportunity didn’t come about last season.)
Despite the lag in time, Nash played in a franchise-record 674 games with the Blue Jackets, so there’s no doubt that it will still be a meaningful evening for the player and his former team. It sounds like he’s looking forward to a possible tribute video, too.
“It’s going to be one of those major moments that I’ll never forget,” Nash said. “If they do something like that, it’ll be fun to reminisce, see how they put all the memories and the years together.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)