Mar 20, 2014, 12:48 AM EST
It was Lack’s fourth shutout of the season and his first since he ascended to the starting role after Vancouver traded away Roberto Luongo.
His efforts kept Vancouver in the contest until Nicklas Jensen finally broke the scoreless tie at 6:06 of the third period. Alexander Edler provided the insurance goal for the Canucks a little over a minute later.
If nothing else, that can be taken as encouraging signs for the Canucks’ future prospects. They’re putting a lot of faith in Lack, 26, but the Canucks are hoping that Jensen also proves to be an important part of their team. The 21-year-old forward now has three goals in his last four games and is on a four-contest point streak.
The present still looks bleak though. Vancouver is three points behind the Phoenix Coyotes in the battle for the second Wild Card spot, which might not sound too bad, but the Canucks have also played in three extra games.
As for Nashville, this was its third straight loss and another nail in the coffin. The Predators are one of the worst offensive teams in the league and that’s been especially apparent lately as they’ve only managed two goals over the span of their current losing streak.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)