Mar 20, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Some high praise today for Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh, from his coach, Alain Vigneault.
“We were just talking about him before practice about how Montreal must be just shaking their heads,” Vigneault said, per Newsday. “He’s a thoroughbred…Having been with him now for 70 games, not only is he dependable and playing against the top lines, because of his skating and skill set, he’s got offensive potential, and he’s only going to get better…He’s a real force out there. We’re lucky to have him.”
McDonagh, of course, came to New York as part of the Scott Gomez trade in the summer of 2009. The 24-year-old is enjoying a career season, with 37 points in 70 games while logging almost 25 minutes a night on the ice.
And as Vigneault noted, McDonagh isn’t getting the cushy assignments. He starts plenty in the defensive zone, goes up against the toughest competition, and averages 2:44 on the penalty kill.
Even better for the Rangers? McDonagh is locked up through 2018-19 for a mere cap hit of $4.7 million.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 1
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 3
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)