Mar 20, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
Some high praise today for Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh, from his coach, Alain Vigneault.
“We were just talking about him before practice about how Montreal must be just shaking their heads,” Vigneault said, per Newsday. “He’s a thoroughbred…Having been with him now for 70 games, not only is he dependable and playing against the top lines, because of his skating and skill set, he’s got offensive potential, and he’s only going to get better…He’s a real force out there. We’re lucky to have him.”
McDonagh, of course, came to New York as part of the Scott Gomez trade in the summer of 2009. The 24-year-old is enjoying a career season, with 37 points in 70 games while logging almost 25 minutes a night on the ice.
And as Vigneault noted, McDonagh isn’t getting the cushy assignments. He starts plenty in the defensive zone, goes up against the toughest competition, and averages 2:44 on the penalty kill.
Even better for the Rangers? McDonagh is locked up through 2018-19 for a mere cap hit of $4.7 million.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)