Mar 20, 2014, 3:44 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Caps riding Halak
Jaroslav Halak will make his seventh straight start on Thursday when the Caps take on the Kings in L.A.
Halak, who has all but taken Washington’s No. 1 gig and bolted Braden Holtby to the pine, was brilliant in his last outing, stopping 43 of 45 shots in a 3-2 win over the Ducks in Anaheim. The Slovakian netminder is now 4-2-0 since joining the Caps at the trade deadline, with a .931 save percentage and 2.35 GAA.
For the Kings, Jonathan Quick is likely to get the start.
Mason back in
The red-hot Philadelphia Flyers will go back to Steve Mason tonight against Dallas.
Mason, who will be starting for the ninth time in the last 10 games, got a rest on Tuesday (when Ray Emery beat Chicago), which came after winning back-to-back games against Pittsburgh over the weekend. The former Columbus ‘tender has stopped 69 of the last 74 shots he’s faced, and has seen his overall save percentage rise to .914 on the year as a result.
For the Stars, it looks as though Tim Thomas will get the nod in net.
Sabres at Oilers: Matt Hackett vs. Ben Scrivens
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)