Mar 20, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
In very broad terms, the Philadelphia Flyers and Dallas Stars seem like kindred spirits: flawed-but-fun teams that boast enough offensive star power to potentially be upset threats in the playoffs. It’s starting to look like only one of those squads will get the chance to make their opponents sweat, though.
The Flyers extended their winning streak to four games and gave the Stars their fourth loss in a row via a 4-2 win on Thursday.
Philly hasn’t just been beating up on tomato cans during this streak, either; they swept a weekend series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, managed a comeback win against the Chicago Blackhawks and dealt some serious damage to Dallas’ playoff hopes tonight.
One could argue that Philly’s edge came down to secondary scoring. Claude Giroux continues his dominant work, but the Stars received another strong night from their 1-2 punch of offensive stars with Jamie Benn getting two goals this time. Wayne Simmonds‘ own hot streak seemed to tilt the scale the Flyers’ way, however, as he found the net twice himself.
However you slice it, the Flyers’ playoff hopes look increasingly realistic while the Stars may need the Phoenix Coyotes to stumble to really get back into the West mix.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)