Mar 20, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
In very broad terms, the Philadelphia Flyers and Dallas Stars seem like kindred spirits: flawed-but-fun teams that boast enough offensive star power to potentially be upset threats in the playoffs. It’s starting to look like only one of those squads will get the chance to make their opponents sweat, though.
The Flyers extended their winning streak to four games and gave the Stars their fourth loss in a row via a 4-2 win on Thursday.
Philly hasn’t just been beating up on tomato cans during this streak, either; they swept a weekend series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, managed a comeback win against the Chicago Blackhawks and dealt some serious damage to Dallas’ playoff hopes tonight.
One could argue that Philly’s edge came down to secondary scoring. Claude Giroux continues his dominant work, but the Stars received another strong night from their 1-2 punch of offensive stars with Jamie Benn getting two goals this time. Wayne Simmonds‘ own hot streak seemed to tilt the scale the Flyers’ way, however, as he found the net twice himself.
However you slice it, the Flyers’ playoff hopes look increasingly realistic while the Stars may need the Phoenix Coyotes to stumble to really get back into the West mix.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)