Mar 20, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
In very broad terms, the Philadelphia Flyers and Dallas Stars seem like kindred spirits: flawed-but-fun teams that boast enough offensive star power to potentially be upset threats in the playoffs. It’s starting to look like only one of those squads will get the chance to make their opponents sweat, though.
The Flyers extended their winning streak to four games and gave the Stars their fourth loss in a row via a 4-2 win on Thursday.
Philly hasn’t just been beating up on tomato cans during this streak, either; they swept a weekend series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, managed a comeback win against the Chicago Blackhawks and dealt some serious damage to Dallas’ playoff hopes tonight.
One could argue that Philly’s edge came down to secondary scoring. Claude Giroux continues his dominant work, but the Stars received another strong night from their 1-2 punch of offensive stars with Jamie Benn getting two goals this time. Wayne Simmonds‘ own hot streak seemed to tilt the scale the Flyers’ way, however, as he found the net twice himself.
However you slice it, the Flyers’ playoff hopes look increasingly realistic while the Stars may need the Phoenix Coyotes to stumble to really get back into the West mix.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 33
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)