Mar 19, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
It’s not that the Chicago Blackhawks are playing poorly, because they’re not. But no team in today’s NHL has set a higher bar than the defending Stanley Cup champions, who you’ll also recall barely lost a game in the 2013 regular season.
Since starting the current season 20-4-4 and looking like they’d be romping to another Presidents’ Trophy, the ‘Hawks are just 19-11-11. Which isn’t exactly terrible, but again, high bar.
“We’ve got to find a way to be better,” said captain Jonathan Toews, per CSN Chicago, after Tuesday’s 3-2 overtime loss in Philadelphia. “If we play better and we sharpen up on little things, we’ve got a lot of skill and we’ve got a lot of ability; it will take care of itself. We’ll find a way to get points.”
Tonight, it’s the NHL-leading St. Louis Blues paying a visit to the United Center (on NBCSN, 8 p.m. ET).
“Obviously, it’ll be a huge game for us and it will be exciting to get to play these guys,” said ‘Hawks coach Joel Quenneville. “I see our team responding and being excited about that game.”
Worth mentioning: the way the standings look, the ‘Hawks and Blues are on a collision course to meet in the second round of the playoffs, assuming both of them make it that far.
Related: St. Louis or Chicago — who ya got?
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)