Mar 19, 2014, 11:16 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets desperately needed a win to stay alive in the Wild Card race. Fortunately for them, forward Blake Wheeler took matters into his own hands.
After already setting up two goals and with the Jets’ game against Colorado tied at 4-4 in overtime, Wheeler played keep-away with the Avalanche until he fired an odd-angle shot top shelf to beat Avalanche goalie Reto Berra.
You can watch that impressive sequence below:
With that, Winnipeg now has 73 points in 71 games, putting them four points shy of the second Wild Card seeded Phoenix Coyotes despite having played in two extra contests. So the reality of the Jets’ situation is that they’ll need more heroics and plenty of luck in order to make the playoffs at this point.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)