Mar 19, 2014, 11:16 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets desperately needed a win to stay alive in the Wild Card race. Fortunately for them, forward Blake Wheeler took matters into his own hands.
After already setting up two goals and with the Jets’ game against Colorado tied at 4-4 in overtime, Wheeler played keep-away with the Avalanche until he fired an odd-angle shot top shelf to beat Avalanche goalie Reto Berra.
You can watch that impressive sequence below:
With that, Winnipeg now has 73 points in 71 games, putting them four points shy of the second Wild Card seeded Phoenix Coyotes despite having played in two extra contests. So the reality of the Jets’ situation is that they’ll need more heroics and plenty of luck in order to make the playoffs at this point.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4