Mar 19, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets desperately needed a win to stay alive in the Wild Card race. Fortunately for them, forward Blake Wheeler took matters into his own hands.
After already setting up two goals and with the Jets’ game against Colorado tied at 4-4 in overtime, Wheeler played keep-away with the Avalanche until he fired an odd-angle shot top shelf to beat Avalanche goalie Reto Berra.
You can watch that impressive sequence below:
With that, Winnipeg now has 73 points in 71 games, putting them four points shy of the second Wild Card seeded Phoenix Coyotes despite having played in two extra contests. So the reality of the Jets’ situation is that they’ll need more heroics and plenty of luck in order to make the playoffs at this point.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (85)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (38)