Mar 19, 2014, 11:16 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets desperately needed a win to stay alive in the Wild Card race. Fortunately for them, forward Blake Wheeler took matters into his own hands.
After already setting up two goals and with the Jets’ game against Colorado tied at 4-4 in overtime, Wheeler played keep-away with the Avalanche until he fired an odd-angle shot top shelf to beat Avalanche goalie Reto Berra.
You can watch that impressive sequence below:
With that, Winnipeg now has 73 points in 71 games, putting them four points shy of the second Wild Card seeded Phoenix Coyotes despite having played in two extra contests. So the reality of the Jets’ situation is that they’ll need more heroics and plenty of luck in order to make the playoffs at this point.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 63
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 11
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)