Mar 19, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets desperately needed a win to stay alive in the Wild Card race. Fortunately for them, forward Blake Wheeler took matters into his own hands.
After already setting up two goals and with the Jets’ game against Colorado tied at 4-4 in overtime, Wheeler played keep-away with the Avalanche until he fired an odd-angle shot top shelf to beat Avalanche goalie Reto Berra.
You can watch that impressive sequence below:
With that, Winnipeg now has 73 points in 71 games, putting them four points shy of the second Wild Card seeded Phoenix Coyotes despite having played in two extra contests. So the reality of the Jets’ situation is that they’ll need more heroics and plenty of luck in order to make the playoffs at this point.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)