Video: Sharks make a fan’s wish come true

Mar 19, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT

Roberto Luongo and the Florida Panthers frustrated the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great night for the Sharks organization. In a touching move, the team gave youth hockey player Sam Tageson’s NHL dream come true, complete with an on-ice experience that left him in tears:

That wasn’t the only part of his NHL experience, however. Tageson also skated with the team in practice and enjoyed other parts of the process:

“No way to top today,” Tageson said, according to the Mercury News.

The 17-year-old is dealing with a heart condition, so the Sharks worked with the Make-A-Wish foundation to make his NHL dream come true.

Brent Burns seemed to agree that it was a great moment overall, even if the Sharks lost last night.

1. joey4id - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Good on the Sharks & NHL organizations and Make-A-Wish foundation for making this happen for the young man. There are never too many of these stories.

• 7mantel - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

It’s been a long time since I agreed with you ,but it’s a class act by all involved ! Never get tired of stories like this !

• charlieconway96 - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I just liked one of Joey’s comments… Hell must be freezing over.

2. terrier92 - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Awesome

3. jcmeyer10 - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM

From Jimmy V: “To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy”.

Looks like I have had a full day. I love it when teams do this stuff.

• charlieconway96 - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Who’s the genius that down votes this?

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Maybe the guy has a beef with Vallvano.

• skr213 - Mar 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Spock.

4. hockeyornothing - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Perfect recipe! Now if only everyone would at least try to do those things the World would be a better place!

5. sjsharks66 - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Love this organization and the players! Made the loss very unimportant. Blew my mind when they were showing everything he got to do with the team last night. I bet he never forgets that day for years to come!

6. pitpenguinsrulez - Mar 19, 2014 at 10:32 AM

That’s something this kid will never forget! Congrats to both foundations for making it happen.

7. porkchopexpress1969 - Mar 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I hate the dreaded Sharks! But what a real class organization to do this. Good for him and the team! Well done!

8. blues1988 - Mar 19, 2014 at 10:39 AM

good work sharks!

9. hookersdontsnuggle - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Water works city, population: me.

10. darksidecowboy - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Made that’s kids dream come true, made my day Sharks. I always thought that skating out of the shark head is really cool.

11. patshal - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM

What is this all about. I did not understand one bit of this article.

• skr213 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Must be a Kings fan.

12. sjshark714 - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I’ll be honest guys… I was at the game last night and I got REAL choked up when he came out of that shark head and got a standing ovation on the bench. Pretty amazing experience even for fans who were minimally involved. Winning the game would’ve just been a very small bonus.

• jo94past - Mar 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM

A real touching moment. Classy move by the sharks organization.

13. schneider99 - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I love when teams do this kind of thing; regardless of which team they are, I respect the hell out of them! Good on you Sharks!

14. c9castine - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:40 AM

this is awesome. had me pretty emotional watching the report on it and im not really that type.

and there is always such a genuine feel to things when hockey players are involved…

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches