Mar 19, 2014, 9:58 PM EST
About a week ago, the Maple Leafs’ entry into the 2014 playoffs looked like a foregone conclusion. Now their hold on a postseason spot is tenuous after Tampa Bay’s 5-3 victory on the strength of a Steven Stamkos hat trick.
It was Stamkos’ second hat trick of the season, which is a remarkable feat on its own, but becomes even more impressive when you remember that he missed most of the 2013-14 campaign with a broken tibia. He now has 19 goals and 30 points in just 24 games this season.
On the other end of the spectrum, Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer had a rough night, stopping just 25 of 30 shots after being called “just okay” by coach Randy Carlyle following Tuesday’s defeat. Although Reimer isn’t solely at fault for the five goals allowed, he didn’t look great tonight.
Toronto has now lost four of its last five games. With 80 points in 71 games, the Maple Leafs still hold the first Wild Card spot, but they are down to a four-point cushion over the Washington Capitals in the battle for a playoff spot. Toronto has played in one extra contest.
Meanwhile, Tampa Bay has now won four straight contests and have gained the edge over the Montreal Canadiens in the battle for the second seed in the Atlantic Division.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)