Mar 19, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
About a week ago, the Maple Leafs’ entry into the 2014 playoffs looked like a foregone conclusion. Now their hold on a postseason spot is tenuous after Tampa Bay’s 5-3 victory on the strength of a Steven Stamkos hat trick.
It was Stamkos’ second hat trick of the season, which is a remarkable feat on its own, but becomes even more impressive when you remember that he missed most of the 2013-14 campaign with a broken tibia. He now has 19 goals and 30 points in just 24 games this season.
On the other end of the spectrum, Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer had a rough night, stopping just 25 of 30 shots after being called “just okay” by coach Randy Carlyle following Tuesday’s defeat. Although Reimer isn’t solely at fault for the five goals allowed, he didn’t look great tonight.
Toronto has now lost four of its last five games. With 80 points in 71 games, the Maple Leafs still hold the first Wild Card spot, but they are down to a four-point cushion over the Washington Capitals in the battle for a playoff spot. Toronto has played in one extra contest.
Meanwhile, Tampa Bay has now won four straight contests and have gained the edge over the Montreal Canadiens in the battle for the second seed in the Atlantic Division.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)