Mar 19, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Tanev, hurt blocking a Steve Stamkos shot, was seen wearing a full wrap and splint on his right hand following the loss, with Vancouver’s Team 1040 reporting Tanev broke two fingers on the play. It’s the second significant hand injury he’s suffered while blocking shots this season — prior to the Olympic break, Tanev fractured his thumb and was sidelined for seven games.
The 24-year-old has been one of the few bright spots for the Canucks this year, scoring a career-high six goals and 17 points while averaging over 21 minutes per night.
For all that offense, though, blocked shots have been Tanev’s forte — at the time of injury he had 136, tops on the Canucks and tied for 16th-most in the NHL.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 14
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28