Mar 19, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Tanev, hurt blocking a Steve Stamkos shot, was seen wearing a full wrap and splint on his right hand following the loss, with Vancouver’s Team 1040 reporting Tanev broke two fingers on the play. It’s the second significant hand injury he’s suffered while blocking shots this season — prior to the Olympic break, Tanev fractured his thumb and was sidelined for seven games.
The 24-year-old has been one of the few bright spots for the Canucks this year, scoring a career-high six goals and 17 points while averaging over 21 minutes per night.
For all that offense, though, blocked shots have been Tanev’s forte — at the time of injury he had 136, tops on the Canucks and tied for 16th-most in the NHL.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)