Mar 19, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Tanev, hurt blocking a Steve Stamkos shot, was seen wearing a full wrap and splint on his right hand following the loss, with Vancouver’s Team 1040 reporting Tanev broke two fingers on the play. It’s the second significant hand injury he’s suffered while blocking shots this season — prior to the Olympic break, Tanev fractured his thumb and was sidelined for seven games.
The 24-year-old has been one of the few bright spots for the Canucks this year, scoring a career-high six goals and 17 points while averaging over 21 minutes per night.
For all that offense, though, blocked shots have been Tanev’s forte — at the time of injury he had 136, tops on the Canucks and tied for 16th-most in the NHL.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)