Mar 19, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Tanev, hurt blocking a Steve Stamkos shot, was seen wearing a full wrap and splint on his right hand following the loss, with Vancouver’s Team 1040 reporting Tanev broke two fingers on the play. It’s the second significant hand injury he’s suffered while blocking shots this season — prior to the Olympic break, Tanev fractured his thumb and was sidelined for seven games.
The 24-year-old has been one of the few bright spots for the Canucks this year, scoring a career-high six goals and 17 points while averaging over 21 minutes per night.
For all that offense, though, blocked shots have been Tanev’s forte — at the time of injury he had 136, tops on the Canucks and tied for 16th-most in the NHL.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47