Mar 19, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
At this point, we’ve run out of original ways to describe the Red Wings’ injury situation this season…so take it away, Detroit News!
Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson didn’t come out for the third period [of Tuesday's win against Toronto] after breaking a finger late in the second period.
Ericsson will be out “10 days to two weeks,” general manager Ken Holland said, and is expected to undergo surgery Wednesday to stabilize the finger.
“We get someone hurt every day and they never come back,” said [Mike] Babcock, not exaggerating as the Red Wings have lost six players in six games. “He’s seeing a hand specialist. He has a broken finger. In the old days you just taped it up and kept playing.
“I don’t know what the rules are (now).”
The six players Detroit has lost in the last six games are Ericsson, Justin Abdelkader, Todd Bertuzzi (who returned to face Toronto), Tomas Jurco, Joakim Andersson and Jonas Gustavsson. Those players joined an already lengthy list of Detroit skaters shelved with various ailments — Darren Helm, Dan Cleary, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Stephen Weiss.
It’s hard to blame Babcock for being exasperated. Despite all these injuries, Detroit is right in the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff chase and the head coach is clearly wondering where the club would be if it was even a fraction healthier than it is right now.
Update: Oh, it just keeps getting better for Detroit. Ericsson underwent successful surgery on the finger and will now miss the next 4-6 weeks.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Retired Finnish star was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)