Mar 19, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
At this point, we’ve run out of original ways to describe the Red Wings’ injury situation this season…so take it away, Detroit News!
Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson didn’t come out for the third period [of Tuesday's win against Toronto] after breaking a finger late in the second period.
Ericsson will be out “10 days to two weeks,” general manager Ken Holland said, and is expected to undergo surgery Wednesday to stabilize the finger.
“We get someone hurt every day and they never come back,” said [Mike] Babcock, not exaggerating as the Red Wings have lost six players in six games. “He’s seeing a hand specialist. He has a broken finger. In the old days you just taped it up and kept playing.
“I don’t know what the rules are (now).”
The six players Detroit has lost in the last six games are Ericsson, Justin Abdelkader, Todd Bertuzzi (who returned to face Toronto), Tomas Jurco, Joakim Andersson and Jonas Gustavsson. Those players joined an already lengthy list of Detroit skaters shelved with various ailments — Darren Helm, Dan Cleary, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Stephen Weiss.
It’s hard to blame Babcock for being exasperated. Despite all these injuries, Detroit is right in the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff chase and the head coach is clearly wondering where the club would be if it was even a fraction healthier than it is right now.
Update: Oh, it just keeps getting better for Detroit. Ericsson underwent successful surgery on the finger and will now miss the next 4-6 weeks.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)