Mar 19, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
For the first time, KHL president Alexander Medvedev has confirmed that three expansion teams — Sochi, Tolyatti and Jokerit — will join the league beginning in 2014-15.
“We can speak about the entry of the Sochi club, Lada [Tolyatti] and Jokerit as fact,” Medvedev said, per R-Sport.
Jokerit, the longtime Finnish powerhouse, is leaving the SM-liiga to become part of the KHL, which now boasts teams in nine different countries (Russia, Finland, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Croatia, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.)
Sochi, host of the 2014 Winter Olympics, will join the fold with reports of Hockey Hall of Famer Pavel Bure coming aboard to serve as GM.
Toylatti, commonly referred to as HC Lada, returns to the league after a four-year hiatus due to financial insolvency and the lack of a new arena.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 45
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)