Mar 19, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
For the first time, KHL president Alexander Medvedev has confirmed that three expansion teams — Sochi, Tolyatti and Jokerit — will join the league beginning in 2014-15.
“We can speak about the entry of the Sochi club, Lada [Tolyatti] and Jokerit as fact,” Medvedev said, per R-Sport.
Jokerit, the longtime Finnish powerhouse, is leaving the SM-liiga to become part of the KHL, which now boasts teams in nine different countries (Russia, Finland, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Croatia, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.)
Sochi, host of the 2014 Winter Olympics, will join the fold with reports of Hockey Hall of Famer Pavel Bure coming aboard to serve as GM.
Toylatti, commonly referred to as HC Lada, returns to the league after a four-year hiatus due to financial insolvency and the lack of a new arena.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54