Mar 19, 2014, 10:44 AM EST
Ottawa captain Jason Spezza has been pretty vocal about his team lately and, on Tuesday, that trend continued.
“It’s embarrassing,” Spezza said after the Sens were routed 8-4 by the Rangers, per the Sun. “That was a must-win game for us.
“To give up eight is unacceptable. It’s been the same thing all year for us. (This) was a microcosm of a lot of things.”
It’s likely Spezza was referring to Ottawa’s dreadful second period effort. While the shots were close — 17 for the Rangers, 16 for the Sens — it was New York that scored all the goals, including three in a four-minute span late in the frame. Benoit Pouliot, John Moore and Ryan McDonagh scored the markers, which all but deflated a Sens team that came into the second period up 2-1.
But back to Spezza for a minute.
The veteran center, in his first year as Ottawa’s captain, has talked quite a bit about his team’s disappointing campaign recently. Earlier in the week he admitted the Sens’ playoff picture ‘is not looking good,’ claiming he was ‘frustrated’ with a weekend effort in which they only mustered one point from losses to Montreal and Colorado.
As such, it’ll be interesting to see what the future has in store for the 30-year-old. Next year will be the last of Spezza’s seven-year, $49 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $7 million. His name popped up in trade rumors back at the Mar. 5 deadline and one has to wonder if they’ll surface again at the NHL Entry Draft in June.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Struggled in the American Hockey League this season.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Just two goals in 20 games this year.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
That’s the feeling, at least.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Florida’s No. 1 left Wednesday’s game early.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Center had a career-high 18 goals and 39 points last year.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:59 AM EST
Not listed: glorious gluttony.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
“It’s pretty easy to see things slipping away,” Steve Mason said.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
The hit generated a five-minute major and game misconduct.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)