Mar 19, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Ottawa captain Jason Spezza has been pretty vocal about his team lately and, on Tuesday, that trend continued.
“It’s embarrassing,” Spezza said after the Sens were routed 8-4 by the Rangers, per the Sun. “That was a must-win game for us.
“To give up eight is unacceptable. It’s been the same thing all year for us. (This) was a microcosm of a lot of things.”
It’s likely Spezza was referring to Ottawa’s dreadful second period effort. While the shots were close — 17 for the Rangers, 16 for the Sens — it was New York that scored all the goals, including three in a four-minute span late in the frame. Benoit Pouliot, John Moore and Ryan McDonagh scored the markers, which all but deflated a Sens team that came into the second period up 2-1.
But back to Spezza for a minute.
The veteran center, in his first year as Ottawa’s captain, has talked quite a bit about his team’s disappointing campaign recently. Earlier in the week he admitted the Sens’ playoff picture ‘is not looking good,’ claiming he was ‘frustrated’ with a weekend effort in which they only mustered one point from losses to Montreal and Colorado.
As such, it’ll be interesting to see what the future has in store for the 30-year-old. Next year will be the last of Spezza’s seven-year, $49 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $7 million. His name popped up in trade rumors back at the Mar. 5 deadline and one has to wonder if they’ll surface again at the NHL Entry Draft in June.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
This is his chance to prove he’s a real No. 1 goalie.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
Ron DeGregorio rounded out the group.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The worst should be behind them.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Is his poor Game 7 record reflective of anything?
Aug 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
In other words, how much longer will Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Ryan Kesler stay at the top of their game?
Aug 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
His newly signed two-year deal is an opportunity for
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)