Mar 19, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Tuesday’s rivalry night game between Chicago and St. Louis will be a special one for ‘Hawks center Michal Handzus.
The 37-year-old veteran will become just the sixth Slovakian-born player in NHL history to crack the 1,000 games-played plateau, joining the likes of Stan Mikita, Zdeno Chara, Peter Bondra, Marian Hossa and Miroslav Satan.
Handzus will be acknowledged pregame with a portrait painted by local artist Jerry Tibstra, per the Kankakee Daily Journal.
A fourth-round pick at the ’95 NHL Entry Draft, Handzus has played for St. Louis, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Jose and Chicago during his 16-year career. A big-bodied center known for his two-way game, Handzus finished second to Steve Yzerman for the 2000 Selke Trophy and won the first Stanley Cup of his career last season for the ‘Hawks.
That Cup run was pretty impressive for Handzus, considering he filled in admirably as Chicago’s second-line center, scoring three goals and 11 points in 23 games after being picked up for virtually nothing (a fourth-rounder in ’13) at the trade deadline.
As such, it’ll be interesting to see how Chicago’s second-line center position shakes out this spring — Handzus has just four goals and 13 points through 49 games this season, missing extensive time with an upper-body injury. Chicago has tried to address its lack of depth down the middle by acquiring Peter Regin from the Islanders and is also reportedly close to bringing over Finnish phenom Teuvo Teravainen, who just wrapped his SM-liiga campaign.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 6
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)