Mar 19, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Tuesday’s rivalry night game between Chicago and St. Louis will be a special one for ‘Hawks center Michal Handzus.
The 37-year-old veteran will become just the sixth Slovakian-born player in NHL history to crack the 1,000 games-played plateau, joining the likes of Stan Mikita, Zdeno Chara, Peter Bondra, Marian Hossa and Miroslav Satan.
Handzus will be acknowledged pregame with a portrait painted by local artist Jerry Tibstra, per the Kankakee Daily Journal.
A fourth-round pick at the ’95 NHL Entry Draft, Handzus has played for St. Louis, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Jose and Chicago during his 16-year career. A big-bodied center known for his two-way game, Handzus finished second to Steve Yzerman for the 2000 Selke Trophy and won the first Stanley Cup of his career last season for the ‘Hawks.
That Cup run was pretty impressive for Handzus, considering he filled in admirably as Chicago’s second-line center, scoring three goals and 11 points in 23 games after being picked up for virtually nothing (a fourth-rounder in ’13) at the trade deadline.
As such, it’ll be interesting to see how Chicago’s second-line center position shakes out this spring — Handzus has just four goals and 13 points through 49 games this season, missing extensive time with an upper-body injury. Chicago has tried to address its lack of depth down the middle by acquiring Peter Regin from the Islanders and is also reportedly close to bringing over Finnish phenom Teuvo Teravainen, who just wrapped his SM-liiga campaign.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)