Mar 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EST
One of the Chicago Blackhawks’ top prospects is set to come to North America.
Teuvo Teravainen has been given the green light by the Finnish federation to join the Chicago Blackhawks’ organization, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. He had nine goals and 44 points in 49 games with Jokerit Helsinki this season. The 19-year-old forward missed 11 Finnish league games, but still tied for sixth in the league’s scoring race.
Teravainen also had two goals and 15 points to lead Finland to the gold medal in the 2014 World Junior Championship. Chicago took him with the 18th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
The question now is where Chicago will send Teravainen. They might give him a chance to prove himself immediately with the Blackhawks or opt to allow him to adjust to North American hockey with the AHL Rockford IceHogs. It’s worth noting that the Blackhawks are up against the cap ceiling and Teravainen comes with a $925,000 annual cap hit before his bonuses are factored in.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 3
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 12
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 22
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)