Mar 19, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
Clinging to their slim playoff chances — Sports Club Stats has them at 0.1 percent — the Jets will be without third-leading scorer Dustin Byfuglien and starting netminder Ondrej Pavelec tonight against Colorado.
Byfuglien is day-to-day with a lower-body injury, according to head coach Paul Maurice. The defenseman-turned-forward-turned-defenseman-turned-forward is having a solid scoring campaign, and is one goal and point shy of matching his career highs (20 and 53, respectively).
Pavelec, also dealing with a lower-body injury, hasn’t played since getting hooked in a 4-2 loss to the Rangers last Friday. Backup Al Montoya has started the last two games and will get his third in a row tonight.
The Jets come into tonight’s action six points back of Phoenix for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference, and could pass Vancouver in the standings with a win, should the Canucks falter against Nashville.
At this point, it’s pretty much win or bust for the Jets — they have just two more home games left (tonight against the Avs, Saturday against the ‘Canes) before embarking on a five-game road swing through Dallas, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim and Phoenix.
After that trip, Winnipeg returns home… to host the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)