Mar 19, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
Clinging to their slim playoff chances — Sports Club Stats has them at 0.1 percent — the Jets will be without third-leading scorer Dustin Byfuglien and starting netminder Ondrej Pavelec tonight against Colorado.
Byfuglien is day-to-day with a lower-body injury, according to head coach Paul Maurice. The defenseman-turned-forward-turned-defenseman-turned-forward is having a solid scoring campaign, and is one goal and point shy of matching his career highs (20 and 53, respectively).
Pavelec, also dealing with a lower-body injury, hasn’t played since getting hooked in a 4-2 loss to the Rangers last Friday. Backup Al Montoya has started the last two games and will get his third in a row tonight.
The Jets come into tonight’s action six points back of Phoenix for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference, and could pass Vancouver in the standings with a win, should the Canucks falter against Nashville.
At this point, it’s pretty much win or bust for the Jets — they have just two more home games left (tonight against the Avs, Saturday against the ‘Canes) before embarking on a five-game road swing through Dallas, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim and Phoenix.
After that trip, Winnipeg returns home… to host the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)