Mar 19, 2014, 2:11 PM EST
Clinging to their slim playoff chances — Sports Club Stats has them at 0.1 percent — the Jets will be without third-leading scorer Dustin Byfuglien and starting netminder Ondrej Pavelec tonight against Colorado.
Byfuglien is day-to-day with a lower-body injury, according to head coach Paul Maurice. The defenseman-turned-forward-turned-defenseman-turned-forward is having a solid scoring campaign, and is one goal and point shy of matching his career highs (20 and 53, respectively).
Pavelec, also dealing with a lower-body injury, hasn’t played since getting hooked in a 4-2 loss to the Rangers last Friday. Backup Al Montoya has started the last two games and will get his third in a row tonight.
The Jets come into tonight’s action six points back of Phoenix for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference, and could pass Vancouver in the standings with a win, should the Canucks falter against Nashville.
At this point, it’s pretty much win or bust for the Jets — they have just two more home games left (tonight against the Avs, Saturday against the ‘Canes) before embarking on a five-game road swing through Dallas, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim and Phoenix.
After that trip, Winnipeg returns home… to host the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)