Mar 19, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have agreed to a one-year, entry-level contract with 23-year-old forward Greg Carey.
Carey was one of the top undrafted free agent prospects within the NCAA system. He scored 18 goals and ranked second in the NCAA with 57 points in 38 games this season with St. Lawrence University. He made the ECAC All-Rookie Team in 2010-11 and was selected to be part of the ECAC’s first-team in 2012-13.
Before moving on to college hockey, the Hamilton-native set an Ontario Junior Hockey League with 72 goals in 48 games.
The Coyotes plan to have him report to AHL Portland to start his professional career. However, his contract doesn’t actually start until the 2014-15 campaign, so he will not be a free agent again in the summer.
PHX gets a prize in Carey. Leading NCAA in assists, led in goals last year. Only player this century to lead each category.
— Nate Ewell (@nateewell) March 19, 2014
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (40)