Mar 19, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
The Lake Erie Monsters — AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche — have signed OHL Kitchener d-man Max Iafrate to an amateur tryout deal, the club announced on Wednesday.
The son of longtime NHL defenseman Al Iafrate, Max has spent the last three years playing for the Rangers, racking up eight goals, 30 points and 124 PIM in 57 games this season while capturing the team’s top offensive defenseman award.
Prior to signing with Lake Erie, Iafrate had spent time in Washington’s and San Jose’s prospect development camps.
At 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, the younger Iafrate has a build similar to his dad, who was a four-time NHL All-Star. That said, Max appears to lack the blistering slapper… and the hair.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)