Mar 19, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
The Lake Erie Monsters — AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche — have signed OHL Kitchener d-man Max Iafrate to an amateur tryout deal, the club announced on Wednesday.
The son of longtime NHL defenseman Al Iafrate, Max has spent the last three years playing for the Rangers, racking up eight goals, 30 points and 124 PIM in 57 games this season while capturing the team’s top offensive defenseman award.
Prior to signing with Lake Erie, Iafrate had spent time in Washington’s and San Jose’s prospect development camps.
At 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, the younger Iafrate has a build similar to his dad, who was a four-time NHL All-Star. That said, Max appears to lack the blistering slapper… and the hair.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)