Mar 19, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
The Lake Erie Monsters — AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche — have signed OHL Kitchener d-man Max Iafrate to an amateur tryout deal, the club announced on Wednesday.
The son of longtime NHL defenseman Al Iafrate, Max has spent the last three years playing for the Rangers, racking up eight goals, 30 points and 124 PIM in 57 games this season while capturing the team’s top offensive defenseman award.
Prior to signing with Lake Erie, Iafrate had spent time in Washington’s and San Jose’s prospect development camps.
At 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, the younger Iafrate has a build similar to his dad, who was a four-time NHL All-Star. That said, Max appears to lack the blistering slapper… and the hair.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)