Mar 19, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
The Lake Erie Monsters — AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche — have signed OHL Kitchener d-man Max Iafrate to an amateur tryout deal, the club announced on Wednesday.
The son of longtime NHL defenseman Al Iafrate, Max has spent the last three years playing for the Rangers, racking up eight goals, 30 points and 124 PIM in 57 games this season while capturing the team’s top offensive defenseman award.
Prior to signing with Lake Erie, Iafrate had spent time in Washington’s and San Jose’s prospect development camps.
At 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, the younger Iafrate has a build similar to his dad, who was a four-time NHL All-Star. That said, Max appears to lack the blistering slapper… and the hair.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 0
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 44
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 61
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)