Mar 19, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
The Lake Erie Monsters — AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche — have signed OHL Kitchener d-man Max Iafrate to an amateur tryout deal, the club announced on Wednesday.
The son of longtime NHL defenseman Al Iafrate, Max has spent the last three years playing for the Rangers, racking up eight goals, 30 points and 124 PIM in 57 games this season while capturing the team’s top offensive defenseman award.
Prior to signing with Lake Erie, Iafrate had spent time in Washington’s and San Jose’s prospect development camps.
At 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, the younger Iafrate has a build similar to his dad, who was a four-time NHL All-Star. That said, Max appears to lack the blistering slapper… and the hair.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)