Video: Wild’s Pominville breaks stick, scores on slap shot

Mar 18, 2014, 1:10 AM EDT

It’s not very often you see a player take a slap shot, break their stick … and still score. That’s what Jason Pominville of the Minnesota Wild did Monday night.

His stick shattered toward the blade as he leaned into a slap shot in the second period of Monday’s game against the Boston Bruins. His shot beat Tuukka Rask on the short side, off the post and in. The blade of his stick, no longer attached to the shaft, went flying against the end boards.

For the Wild, it was one of their only highlights of the game, as they lost to the Bruins, a team that has now won nine consecutive games.

1. clarke16 - Mar 18, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Best all-around player the Wild has. Fletch paid a lot to get him in trade–but he’s been worth it and then some. Huge cornerstone piece to this franchise moving forward.

2. wingsdjy - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I’m kinda surprised that no one commented on the stick breaking in that video. Seems worth mentioning.

• pastabelly - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM

It’s the freaking headline. :)

• pastabelly - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Oh, sorry, if you mean the announcing team missing it, I agree. It should have been commented on and it probably distracted Rask and it was an important factor in the goal.

3. titansbro - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I actually think breaking the stick is what helped him score there. Rask easily catches that without a broken stick flying toward him. Lucky break.

• clarke16 - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM

LOL! If you say so. It pretty clearly looks to me that Poms just plain blew it by him. I don’t see the glove even move till after the “tink” sound of the puck going in off the pipe. Sweet goal.

• titansbro - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Yeah if a broken stick is flying at me I might divert my attention away from the puck for a half-second. Maybe you didn’t comprehend my comment?

Rask is good enough to stop a puck from 30+ feet out without any real traffic in front of him.

• strictlythedanks - Mar 18, 2014 at 2:12 PM

titansbra, Pommer is a BOmber.

Flyers have many concerns