Mar 18, 2014, 1:49 AM EDT
It was close, and warranted a review, but Jeff Halpern‘s goal eventually stood as the game winner for a Phoenix Coyotes team battling for a spot in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Halpern scored with 3:05 remaining in the third of Monday’s game against the L.A. Kings, giving Phoenix a 4-3 win over their Pacific Division rival. The play had to be reviewed, but the call on the ice was overturned. That completed a third-period comeback for Phoenix. The Coyotes trailed by a goal going into the third period. For other teams this season, that’s mean a loss when up against the Kings.
This tweet from Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports heading into the third period sums up just how good the Kings have been with the lead heading into the final 20 minutes.
The win and two points are huge for the Coyotes. They jump ahead of the Dallas Stars for the final Wild Card spot in the West. The lead is only two points and Dallas has two games in hand.
But the Halpern winner provided serious drama in the final minutes.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)