Mar 18, 2014, 1:49 AM EST
It was close, and warranted a review, but Jeff Halpern‘s goal eventually stood as the game winner for a Phoenix Coyotes team battling for a spot in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Halpern scored with 3:05 remaining in the third of Monday’s game against the L.A. Kings, giving Phoenix a 4-3 win over their Pacific Division rival. The play had to be reviewed, but the call on the ice was overturned. That completed a third-period comeback for Phoenix. The Coyotes trailed by a goal going into the third period. For other teams this season, that’s mean a loss when up against the Kings.
This tweet from Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports heading into the third period sums up just how good the Kings have been with the lead heading into the final 20 minutes.
The win and two points are huge for the Coyotes. They jump ahead of the Dallas Stars for the final Wild Card spot in the West. The lead is only two points and Dallas has two games in hand.
But the Halpern winner provided serious drama in the final minutes.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)