Mar 18, 2014, 1:49 AM EDT
It was close, and warranted a review, but Jeff Halpern‘s goal eventually stood as the game winner for a Phoenix Coyotes team battling for a spot in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Halpern scored with 3:05 remaining in the third of Monday’s game against the L.A. Kings, giving Phoenix a 4-3 win over their Pacific Division rival. The play had to be reviewed, but the call on the ice was overturned. That completed a third-period comeback for Phoenix. The Coyotes trailed by a goal going into the third period. For other teams this season, that’s mean a loss when up against the Kings.
This tweet from Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports heading into the third period sums up just how good the Kings have been with the lead heading into the final 20 minutes.
The win and two points are huge for the Coyotes. They jump ahead of the Dallas Stars for the final Wild Card spot in the West. The lead is only two points and Dallas has two games in hand.
But the Halpern winner provided serious drama in the final minutes.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)