Mar 18, 2014, 1:49 AM EDT
It was close, and warranted a review, but Jeff Halpern‘s goal eventually stood as the game winner for a Phoenix Coyotes team battling for a spot in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Halpern scored with 3:05 remaining in the third of Monday’s game against the L.A. Kings, giving Phoenix a 4-3 win over their Pacific Division rival. The play had to be reviewed, but the call on the ice was overturned. That completed a third-period comeback for Phoenix. The Coyotes trailed by a goal going into the third period. For other teams this season, that’s mean a loss when up against the Kings.
This tweet from Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports heading into the third period sums up just how good the Kings have been with the lead heading into the final 20 minutes.
The win and two points are huge for the Coyotes. They jump ahead of the Dallas Stars for the final Wild Card spot in the West. The lead is only two points and Dallas has two games in hand.
But the Halpern winner provided serious drama in the final minutes.
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 2
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)