Mar 18, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
Ryan Callahan said he wanted to stay with the New York Rangers, but the team’s owner James Dolan told ESPN Radio that Callahan also wanted too much money. Dolan states that that’s the reason why he was sent to the Tampa Bay Lightning in a blockbuster trade.
“I think Ryan, essentially, was asking too much for his services and was going to hamstring the team,” Dolan said, according to Katie Strang’s transcription. “With that, I think [general manager Glen Sather] did the right thing.”
Reports indicated that Callahan, 28, and the Rangers made progress toward a compromise regarding a contract extension, with some murmurs that they were (only?) a few hundred thousand apart. Callahan explained that “it’s the part of the business that’s not fun.”
Many Rangers fans will likely be curious to see what kind of deal their former captain ends up with, then.
Callahan is fitting in pretty nicely with the Bolts so far; he has four points in six games and seems active with 19 shots on goal heading into Tuesday. As of this moment, Martin St. Louis only has two assists in his first seven games with the Rangers (his eighth is in progress).
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 12
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (60)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)