Mar 18, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan said he wanted to stay with the New York Rangers, but the team’s owner James Dolan told ESPN Radio that Callahan also wanted too much money. Dolan states that that’s the reason why he was sent to the Tampa Bay Lightning in a blockbuster trade.
“I think Ryan, essentially, was asking too much for his services and was going to hamstring the team,” Dolan said, according to Katie Strang’s transcription. “With that, I think [general manager Glen Sather] did the right thing.”
Reports indicated that Callahan, 28, and the Rangers made progress toward a compromise regarding a contract extension, with some murmurs that they were (only?) a few hundred thousand apart. Callahan explained that “it’s the part of the business that’s not fun.”
Many Rangers fans will likely be curious to see what kind of deal their former captain ends up with, then.
Callahan is fitting in pretty nicely with the Bolts so far; he has four points in six games and seems active with 19 shots on goal heading into Tuesday. As of this moment, Martin St. Louis only has two assists in his first seven games with the Rangers (his eighth is in progress).
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 14
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)