Mar 18, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan said he wanted to stay with the New York Rangers, but the team’s owner James Dolan told ESPN Radio that Callahan also wanted too much money. Dolan states that that’s the reason why he was sent to the Tampa Bay Lightning in a blockbuster trade.
“I think Ryan, essentially, was asking too much for his services and was going to hamstring the team,” Dolan said, according to Katie Strang’s transcription. “With that, I think [general manager Glen Sather] did the right thing.”
Reports indicated that Callahan, 28, and the Rangers made progress toward a compromise regarding a contract extension, with some murmurs that they were (only?) a few hundred thousand apart. Callahan explained that “it’s the part of the business that’s not fun.”
Many Rangers fans will likely be curious to see what kind of deal their former captain ends up with, then.
Callahan is fitting in pretty nicely with the Bolts so far; he has four points in six games and seems active with 19 shots on goal heading into Tuesday. As of this moment, Martin St. Louis only has two assists in his first seven games with the Rangers (his eighth is in progress).
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)