Mar 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Last week, it was the Toronto Maple Leafs heading out west to face the three tough California teams.
This week, it’s the Washington Capitals’ turn, with games in Anaheim tonight, Los Angeles Thursday and San Jose Saturday.
And give the standings, the Caps can’t afford a bad trip.
“We gotta win them all,” coach Adam Oates said, per CSN Washington. “I know they’re better than us in the standings, but you’ve got have the attitude you’re going to beat them. Toronto had a good trip out there and we just beat them.”
The Leafs did indeed have a good trip. They beat Anaheim and Los Angeles, losing only to San Jose. Granted, Toronto was outshot badly in all three games, but the wins were still wins.
Combined, the Ducks, Kings and Sharks are 68-23-10 at home, while Washington is 12-16-5 on the road. Which is to say, winning them all would be quite the accomplishment for Oates’ troops.
“I think we can afford to lose one,” said defenseman Karl Alzner. “Obviously, we don’t want to. We want to try to upset a couple teams. They’re in good position and maybe they’ll take us a little lightly. Hopefully, they do and we can capitalize on that.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)