Mar 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Last week, it was the Toronto Maple Leafs heading out west to face the three tough California teams.
This week, it’s the Washington Capitals’ turn, with games in Anaheim tonight, Los Angeles Thursday and San Jose Saturday.
And give the standings, the Caps can’t afford a bad trip.
“We gotta win them all,” coach Adam Oates said, per CSN Washington. “I know they’re better than us in the standings, but you’ve got have the attitude you’re going to beat them. Toronto had a good trip out there and we just beat them.”
The Leafs did indeed have a good trip. They beat Anaheim and Los Angeles, losing only to San Jose. Granted, Toronto was outshot badly in all three games, but the wins were still wins.
Combined, the Ducks, Kings and Sharks are 68-23-10 at home, while Washington is 12-16-5 on the road. Which is to say, winning them all would be quite the accomplishment for Oates’ troops.
“I think we can afford to lose one,” said defenseman Karl Alzner. “Obviously, we don’t want to. We want to try to upset a couple teams. They’re in good position and maybe they’ll take us a little lightly. Hopefully, they do and we can capitalize on that.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)