Mar 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
From the Detroit Free Press:
After the final buzzer at the Detroit Red Wings’ last game at the Joe, the arena will stay dark until it’s demolished, under terms of a proposed lease.
Although the City of Detroit owns Joe Louis, it would be prohibited from holding any ticketed events at the arena in the time between the team’s departure and the arena’s demolition, under the proposal that is before the City Council.
No surprise, really, that the plan is for the old rink to be demolished, a la Boston Garden and Chicago Stadium. The new one doesn’t need the competition, and the outmoded Joe’s demolition will bring redevelopment opportunities for the riverfront.
The proposed lease still has to be approved, however.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 34
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 31
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35