Mar 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
From the Detroit Free Press:
After the final buzzer at the Detroit Red Wings’ last game at the Joe, the arena will stay dark until it’s demolished, under terms of a proposed lease.
Although the City of Detroit owns Joe Louis, it would be prohibited from holding any ticketed events at the arena in the time between the team’s departure and the arena’s demolition, under the proposal that is before the City Council.
No surprise, really, that the plan is for the old rink to be demolished, a la Boston Garden and Chicago Stadium. The new one doesn’t need the competition, and the outmoded Joe’s demolition will bring redevelopment opportunities for the riverfront.
The proposed lease still has to be approved, however.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 0
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 57
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 76
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (76)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)