Mar 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
From the Detroit Free Press:
After the final buzzer at the Detroit Red Wings’ last game at the Joe, the arena will stay dark until it’s demolished, under terms of a proposed lease.
Although the City of Detroit owns Joe Louis, it would be prohibited from holding any ticketed events at the arena in the time between the team’s departure and the arena’s demolition, under the proposal that is before the City Council.
No surprise, really, that the plan is for the old rink to be demolished, a la Boston Garden and Chicago Stadium. The new one doesn’t need the competition, and the outmoded Joe’s demolition will bring redevelopment opportunities for the riverfront.
The proposed lease still has to be approved, however.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)