Mar 18, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
With Matt Moulson in town with the Minnesota Wild, Tuesday probably already ranked as an uncomfortable night for the New York Islanders. It hasn’t gotten much better as the team currently trails 3-0 and lost defenseman Brian Strait for (at least) the evening with a broken left hand.
Strait, 26, already set career-highs in a variety of categories including games played (46), goals (3), assists (6) and points (9). He also came into tonight’s game with a career-best 18:09 time on ice average.
The Islanders aren’t mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet, but it’s probably reasonable to say that it’s a matter of time. They probably would prefer the extra opportunities to evaluate the former Pittsburgh Penguins third-rounder (65th overall in 2006) nonetheless, but it wouldn’t be shocking if this is a season-ending injury (or close to one). Then again, hockey players are known for fighting through serious issues, so we’ll see.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)