Mar 18, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
With Matt Moulson in town with the Minnesota Wild, Tuesday probably already ranked as an uncomfortable night for the New York Islanders. It hasn’t gotten much better as the team currently trails 3-0 and lost defenseman Brian Strait for (at least) the evening with a broken left hand.
Strait, 26, already set career-highs in a variety of categories including games played (46), goals (3), assists (6) and points (9). He also came into tonight’s game with a career-best 18:09 time on ice average.
The Islanders aren’t mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet, but it’s probably reasonable to say that it’s a matter of time. They probably would prefer the extra opportunities to evaluate the former Pittsburgh Penguins third-rounder (65th overall in 2006) nonetheless, but it wouldn’t be shocking if this is a season-ending injury (or close to one). Then again, hockey players are known for fighting through serious issues, so we’ll see.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 10
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)