Mar 18, 2014, 9:02 PM EST
With Matt Moulson in town with the Minnesota Wild, Tuesday probably already ranked as an uncomfortable night for the New York Islanders. It hasn’t gotten much better as the team currently trails 3-0 and lost defenseman Brian Strait for (at least) the evening with a broken left hand.
Strait, 26, already set career-highs in a variety of categories including games played (46), goals (3), assists (6) and points (9). He also came into tonight’s game with a career-best 18:09 time on ice average.
The Islanders aren’t mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet, but it’s probably reasonable to say that it’s a matter of time. They probably would prefer the extra opportunities to evaluate the former Pittsburgh Penguins third-rounder (65th overall in 2006) nonetheless, but it wouldn’t be shocking if this is a season-ending injury (or close to one). Then again, hockey players are known for fighting through serious issues, so we’ll see.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)