Mar 18, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
With Matt Moulson in town with the Minnesota Wild, Tuesday probably already ranked as an uncomfortable night for the New York Islanders. It hasn’t gotten much better as the team currently trails 3-0 and lost defenseman Brian Strait for (at least) the evening with a broken left hand.
Strait, 26, already set career-highs in a variety of categories including games played (46), goals (3), assists (6) and points (9). He also came into tonight’s game with a career-best 18:09 time on ice average.
The Islanders aren’t mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet, but it’s probably reasonable to say that it’s a matter of time. They probably would prefer the extra opportunities to evaluate the former Pittsburgh Penguins third-rounder (65th overall in 2006) nonetheless, but it wouldn’t be shocking if this is a season-ending injury (or close to one). Then again, hockey players are known for fighting through serious issues, so we’ll see.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)