Mar 18, 2014, 9:02 PM EST
With Matt Moulson in town with the Minnesota Wild, Tuesday probably already ranked as an uncomfortable night for the New York Islanders. It hasn’t gotten much better as the team currently trails 3-0 and lost defenseman Brian Strait for (at least) the evening with a broken left hand.
Strait, 26, already set career-highs in a variety of categories including games played (46), goals (3), assists (6) and points (9). He also came into tonight’s game with a career-best 18:09 time on ice average.
The Islanders aren’t mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet, but it’s probably reasonable to say that it’s a matter of time. They probably would prefer the extra opportunities to evaluate the former Pittsburgh Penguins third-rounder (65th overall in 2006) nonetheless, but it wouldn’t be shocking if this is a season-ending injury (or close to one). Then again, hockey players are known for fighting through serious issues, so we’ll see.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 15
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)