Mar 17, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Close again, but the Vancouver Canucks suffered another loss to all but dash their playoff hopes.
Jannik Hansen scored short handed to get Vancouver to within a goal – twice in this game they trailed by three goals – but they couldn’t complete the comeback. The loss keeps them in the 10th spot in the Western Conference, three points back of the current eighth-place holders, the Dallas Stars. Dallas now has four games in hand on Vancouver.
It was another case of the Canucks not being able to finish their chances, and not being able to keep the puck out of their own net. The two goals they allowed in the second period went off Vancouver defenseman Ryan Stanton. Seconds before each of those goals, the Canucks had chances to score on Ben Bishop at the other end, but couldn’t.
“We didn’t get points and we needed points. That’s it,” said Canucks head coach John Tortorella, as per the club’s Twitter account.
He did not return to the game. In the first period, he blocked a pair of Steven Stamkos slap shot, although it’s not yet known if that’s what took him from the game.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)