Mar 17, 2014, 11:24 PM EST
Close again, but the Vancouver Canucks suffered another loss to all but dash their playoff hopes.
Jannik Hansen scored short handed to get Vancouver to within a goal – twice in this game they trailed by three goals – but they couldn’t complete the comeback. The loss keeps them in the 10th spot in the Western Conference, three points back of the current eighth-place holders, the Dallas Stars. Dallas now has four games in hand on Vancouver.
It was another case of the Canucks not being able to finish their chances, and not being able to keep the puck out of their own net. The two goals they allowed in the second period went off Vancouver defenseman Ryan Stanton. Seconds before each of those goals, the Canucks had chances to score on Ben Bishop at the other end, but couldn’t.
“We didn’t get points and we needed points. That’s it,” said Canucks head coach John Tortorella, as per the club’s Twitter account.
He did not return to the game. In the first period, he blocked a pair of Steven Stamkos slap shot, although it’s not yet known if that’s what took him from the game.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)