Mar 17, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Calgary center Matt Stajan will play in his first game since his newborn son, Emerson, died on March 3.
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the news on Monday. Stajan had missed the last eight games after leaving the team following a win over Edmonton on Mar. 1.
Stajan and wife Katie issued the following statement today:
“We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the incredible outpouring of love and support, during this very difficult time.
“All of you have touched our lives with your kindness and compassion and we truly appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers.
“Our son, Emerson, will forever be in all of our hearts. Thank you for taking the time to think of us and grieve this unbearable loss with us. It means so much and we are grateful for all of your support.”
Calgary will host the Sabres tomorrow night at the Saddledome.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)