Mar 17, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Calgary center Matt Stajan will play in his first game since his newborn son, Emerson, died on March 3.
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the news on Monday. Stajan had missed the last eight games after leaving the team following a win over Edmonton on Mar. 1.
Stajan and wife Katie issued the following statement today:
“We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the incredible outpouring of love and support, during this very difficult time.
“All of you have touched our lives with your kindness and compassion and we truly appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers.
“Our son, Emerson, will forever be in all of our hearts. Thank you for taking the time to think of us and grieve this unbearable loss with us. It means so much and we are grateful for all of your support.”
Calgary will host the Sabres tomorrow night at the Saddledome.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21