Mar 17, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Calgary center Matt Stajan will play in his first game since his newborn son, Emerson, died on March 3.
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the news on Monday. Stajan had missed the last eight games after leaving the team following a win over Edmonton on Mar. 1.
Stajan and wife Katie issued the following statement today:
“We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the incredible outpouring of love and support, during this very difficult time.
“All of you have touched our lives with your kindness and compassion and we truly appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers.
“Our son, Emerson, will forever be in all of our hearts. Thank you for taking the time to think of us and grieve this unbearable loss with us. It means so much and we are grateful for all of your support.”
Calgary will host the Sabres tomorrow night at the Saddledome.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)