Mar 17, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
On Tuesday, Calgary center Matt Stajan will play in his first game since his newborn son, Emerson, died on March 3.
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the news on Monday. Stajan had missed the last eight games after leaving the team following a win over Edmonton on Mar. 1.
Stajan and wife Katie issued the following statement today:
“We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the incredible outpouring of love and support, during this very difficult time.
“All of you have touched our lives with your kindness and compassion and we truly appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers.
“Our son, Emerson, will forever be in all of our hearts. Thank you for taking the time to think of us and grieve this unbearable loss with us. It means so much and we are grateful for all of your support.”
Calgary will host the Sabres tomorrow night at the Saddledome.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)