Mar 17, 2014, 1:21 PM EST
The numbers are in from Martin St. Louis‘ first seven games as a Ranger, and they’re not great: Zero goals, two points and just three wins.
On Monday, St. Louis addressed his slow start to life on Broadway.
“You’ve got to stay positive. Am I playing great? No. But I’ve played way worse than this,” St. Louis said, per the New York Daily News. “There’s no time to feel sorry, you’ve just got to man up, be a big boy about it and go to work every day.”
Acquired in a captain-for-captain deadline day blockbuster — ex-Rangers captain Ryan Callahan went to Tampa Bay — St. Louis was supposed to inject life into a Ranger offense that ranked in the NHL’s bottom-half in goals per game. What’s more, the adjustment to life in New York was supposed to be made easier by the presence of former Bolts teammate Brad Richards, installed as St. Louis’ linemate upon his Rangers debut against Toronto on Mar. 5.
It just hasn’t gone according to plan.
Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault split up St. Louis and Richards prior to Friday’s 4-2 win over Winnipeg, saying the duo didn’t have the impact he thought it would. Which leads to the big question moving forward — where will St. Louis play now?
He skated with Derick Brassard and Mats Zuccarello against the Sharks on Sunday, but the line didn’t produce much offensively (though, to be fair, none of the Rangers did as they lost 1-0 as Antti Niemi stopped all 41 shots faced). The trio did have some good puck possession shifts down low and looked capable of generating some chances but, with the Rangers fighting for their playoff lives, the prospect of good scoring chances really isn’t enough.
“We still could have won this game,” Zuccarello said following the San Jose loss. “At the end of the day it’s not good enough. We have to put the puck in the net.”
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Just two goals in 20 games this year.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
That’s the feeling, at least.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Florida’s No. 1 left Wednesday’s game early.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Center had a career-high 18 goals and 39 points last year.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:59 AM EST
Not listed: glorious gluttony.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
“It’s pretty easy to see things slipping away,” Steve Mason said.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
The hit generated a five-minute major and game misconduct.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:18 AM EST
Turkey Day’s assortment of links.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)