Mar 17, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
The numbers are in from Martin St. Louis‘ first seven games as a Ranger, and they’re not great: Zero goals, two points and just three wins.
On Monday, St. Louis addressed his slow start to life on Broadway.
“You’ve got to stay positive. Am I playing great? No. But I’ve played way worse than this,” St. Louis said, per the New York Daily News. “There’s no time to feel sorry, you’ve just got to man up, be a big boy about it and go to work every day.”
Acquired in a captain-for-captain deadline day blockbuster — ex-Rangers captain Ryan Callahan went to Tampa Bay — St. Louis was supposed to inject life into a Ranger offense that ranked in the NHL’s bottom-half in goals per game. What’s more, the adjustment to life in New York was supposed to be made easier by the presence of former Bolts teammate Brad Richards, installed as St. Louis’ linemate upon his Rangers debut against Toronto on Mar. 5.
It just hasn’t gone according to plan.
Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault split up St. Louis and Richards prior to Friday’s 4-2 win over Winnipeg, saying the duo didn’t have the impact he thought it would. Which leads to the big question moving forward — where will St. Louis play now?
He skated with Derick Brassard and Mats Zuccarello against the Sharks on Sunday, but the line didn’t produce much offensively (though, to be fair, none of the Rangers did as they lost 1-0 as Antti Niemi stopped all 41 shots faced). The trio did have some good puck possession shifts down low and looked capable of generating some chances but, with the Rangers fighting for their playoff lives, the prospect of good scoring chances really isn’t enough.
“We still could have won this game,” Zuccarello said following the San Jose loss. “At the end of the day it’s not good enough. We have to put the puck in the net.”
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
May 28, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Which is next Wednesday.
May 28, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
The former led Canada to gold at the most recent World Junior tourney.
May 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s expected to be ready for the start of training camp.
May 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Both forwards are New Jersey draft picks.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
His contract will expire after 2015-16.
May 28, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
May 27, 2015, 11:47 PM EDT
He wasn’t the only Anaheim player that deserved to be blamed tonight.
May 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
Chicago endured Anaheim’s comeback attempt to win this one.
May 27, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
The Ducks might have caught a break there.
May 27, 2015, 10:08 PM EDT
He has seven goals in 15 playoff games.
May 27, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT
Chicago scored three goals within four minutes.
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 4
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 3
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 46
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 47
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)