Mar 17, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
From the Washington Capitals:
We noted this morning that Brooks Laich‘s season could be over in Washington. If the Caps miss the playoffs, this would probably do it, as their last regular-season game is on Apr. 13, a day less than four weeks away.
One fairly big question this all begs: if the Caps wish to use a compliance buyout on Laich’s contract in the summer, will he be healthy enough for them to do it? We’ve seen injuries restrict a team’s ability to buy out players before (see: Martin Havlat in San Jose).
That’s not to say the Caps are definitely planning to do this with Laich, a fan favorite in D.C., but the possibility can’t really be ignored.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 9
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)