Mar 17, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
From the Washington Capitals:
We noted this morning that Brooks Laich‘s season could be over in Washington. If the Caps miss the playoffs, this would probably do it, as their last regular-season game is on Apr. 13, a day less than four weeks away.
One fairly big question this all begs: if the Caps wish to use a compliance buyout on Laich’s contract in the summer, will he be healthy enough for them to do it? We’ve seen injuries restrict a team’s ability to buy out players before (see: Martin Havlat in San Jose).
That’s not to say the Caps are definitely planning to do this with Laich, a fan favorite in D.C., but the possibility can’t really be ignored.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 4
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50