Mar 17, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
From the Washington Capitals:
We noted this morning that Brooks Laich‘s season could be over in Washington. If the Caps miss the playoffs, this would probably do it, as their last regular-season game is on Apr. 13, a day less than four weeks away.
One fairly big question this all begs: if the Caps wish to use a compliance buyout on Laich’s contract in the summer, will he be healthy enough for them to do it? We’ve seen injuries restrict a team’s ability to buy out players before (see: Martin Havlat in San Jose).
That’s not to say the Caps are definitely planning to do this with Laich, a fan favorite in D.C., but the possibility can’t really be ignored.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)