Mar 17, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
From the Washington Capitals:
We noted this morning that Brooks Laich‘s season could be over in Washington. If the Caps miss the playoffs, this would probably do it, as their last regular-season game is on Apr. 13, a day less than four weeks away.
One fairly big question this all begs: if the Caps wish to use a compliance buyout on Laich’s contract in the summer, will he be healthy enough for them to do it? We’ve seen injuries restrict a team’s ability to buy out players before (see: Martin Havlat in San Jose).
That’s not to say the Caps are definitely planning to do this with Laich, a fan favorite in D.C., but the possibility can’t really be ignored.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54