Mar 17, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
From the Washington Capitals:
We noted this morning that Brooks Laich‘s season could be over in Washington. If the Caps miss the playoffs, this would probably do it, as their last regular-season game is on Apr. 13, a day less than four weeks away.
One fairly big question this all begs: if the Caps wish to use a compliance buyout on Laich’s contract in the summer, will he be healthy enough for them to do it? We’ve seen injuries restrict a team’s ability to buy out players before (see: Martin Havlat in San Jose).
That’s not to say the Caps are definitely planning to do this with Laich, a fan favorite in D.C., but the possibility can’t really be ignored.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)