Fans to get replica ’04 Cup rings at tonight’s Bolts-Canucks game

Mar 17, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT

dave andreychuk

The Lightning will honor the 10-year anniversary of its 2004 Stanley Cup-winning team tonight when it hosts the Canucks at the Tampa Bay Times Forum:

Chase is the proud presenter of the 10th Anniversary platform and will provide all fans in attendance with a replica of the actual Stanley Cup ring that was distributed to the players following the championship.

The night will feature appearances by a number of alumni from the 2004 team as well as the trophy they captured, the Stanley Cup. Alumni expected to attend are captain Dave Andreychuk, Ben Clymer, Jassen Cullimore, Chris Dingman, Pavel Kubina, Brad Lukowich, Fredrik Modin, Stan Neckar, Nolan Pratt, Andre Roy, Tim Taylor and Cory Stillman.

The staff will be represented as well, as Vancouver is coached by then-Lightning bench boss, John Tortorella.

Aside from the free bling, tonight’s game is fairly important for, y’know, the actual teams participating in it.

With a win, Vancouver has the chance to move just one point back of Dallas for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference. Phoenix — who is tied with Dallas on 75 points but sits out of playoff positioning because it has more games played — takes on the Kings tonight in Los Angeles, and would take over the last wild card spot with at least one point gained.

Vancouver has just one regulation win in its last nine but has managed to stay in the thick of the playoff chase by manufacturing points. The Canucks won their second shootout in a row on Sunday afternoon in Florida, beating the Panthers and ex-goalie Roberto Luongo by a 4-3 score.

For Tampa, the key for tonight is keeping the good times rolling. The club is coming off consecutive wins for the first time since Jan. 23-25 — they Lightning beat Florida 5-4 on Thursday, then blanked New Jersey 3-0 on Saturday night.

With a win tonight the Bolts could jump one point ahead of idle Toronto for third place in the Atlantic Division and draw even with second-place Montreal in points, with 81.

1. rtookey - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

All 30 of the fans there must be pumped!

• lightningstrikes04 - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Clever, but unfortunately you are an idiot, to put it bluntly. If you take a look at the actual numbers, Tampa Bay has been in the top 10 the last few years,including this year, particularly since the new ownership group has taken control, in attendance. Tampa is in the South, but we are very proud of our team here and this team is continuing to grow a solid fan base.

Make fun all you want, but Tampa has become a hockey town. Our NFL and MLB team struggle with attendance year in and year out, but our hockey team ranks among the traditional hockey cities in attendance. Hope your enjoying the constant snow storms this year. We’ve average the high 60’s, low 70’s throughout the winter, and still get to watch one of the best hockey franchises in the NHL on a nightly basis.

• mattypbillsmafia - Mar 17, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I mean, that would probably have nothing to do with all the transplants living in Tampa, would it? When I lived there and went to a Lightning/Sabres game, it was pretty much a Sabres home game. That couldn’t possibly affect the numbers right? With all the fairweather fans in Tampa? Could it?

• lightningstrikes04 - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM

mattypbillsmafia, attend a Lightning game now and you will notice a significant difference. I my self am a transplant, and the Lightning have always had a significant portion of fans in attendance that are wearing the opposing teams sweater. However, up until 3-4 years ago, the Lightning were in the bottom 3rd of the league, as far as attendance wise. So whats changed?

A new ownership group has begun to facilitate the growth of a fan base the right way. You get those transplants that you talk about to be loyal to your team through treating them with world class customer service, and their kids become fans of your team first. A new generation of Bolts fans is emerging, and the success of the team on the ice, coupled with a committed ownership group, is facilitating this growth. We have something to be proud of, and that was not always the case here in Tampa Bay.

• mattypbillsmafia - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:21 PM

I know what you’re saying about the kids now being the future fan base, and that’s what I was saying when I was living there about the Rays, but to be totally honest, and I don’t mean any disrespect, I noticed that Tampa has mostly fair weather fans. They’ll be around since you have a good team, but if they start playing poorly, the fans will disappear. I left in ’08 when the Bucs had a home playoff game against the Giants and couldn’t sell it out. It blew my mind. If the Bills had a home playoff game, it would sell out in minutes. That kind of attitude, plus seeing the “Dol-fan” no shows at the game I went to there kind of soured me to southern pro fans.It’s been 6 years since I’ve lived there, but I hope for yours and the NHLs sake, that it has changed, cause when I left, I didn’t think any Florida city deserved a pro team.

• sunking1 - Mar 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Actually, mattypbillsmafia, that fair weather fan syndrome exists for all of the ‘transplant’ fans who live in Tampa too. When the ‘old’ home team is playing well, you’ll see a lot of the transplants breaking out their old home team gear and showing up at the games. However, when the old home team is stinking it up (such as the Sabres are now) the amount of ‘fans’ of that team is waaayyyy down.

And make no mistake, the vast majority of those people live in the Bay area and likely root for the Bolts when the old home team isn’t in town (even when their old teams aren’t having crappy seasons). When 90% of the people in the area come from someplace else, it is a battle that all warm weather locations face.

• convincedofthehex - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM

ignorant

• boltsfan777 - Mar 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Bolts #16 out of 30 teams in home attendance. C’mon, get real. Do some homework. Not bad for a small, warm weather town.

• lightningstrikes04 - Mar 17, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Try again, ESPN has us ranking 10th in the league in attendance figures, and last year we were 8th. With a handle like yours I would have guessed that you would support my argument, not try to debunk it. The homework was done and I’ll post the link for any doubters. I go to the games and I see the huge uptick we’ve had in Season Tickets Members.

Here’s the link:

• lightningstrikes04 - Mar 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I’m curious now that I see that we posted the same link, and I’ve clicked on yours, how your getting 16th.

• boltsfan777 - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:03 PM

My comment was directed toward the original poster ‘rtookey’, not you nor was I trying to debunk you. Whenever I see these cheap ignorant shots at Tampa fan from the “hockey snobs”, I post the same ESPN link. There are a few ways to sort the data. If you click the “TOTAL” link under “HOME”, it sorts by total home attendance, and it appears the Bolts are 15/30 in “home” attendance. When you first load the page, it sorts by “AVERAGE” “HOME” attendance, and shows the Bolts at #10, which I agree is the more important figure. I think Tampa is doing pretty good being in the top half of the league in any categories.

• lightningstrikes04 - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Oh, sorry…Carry on :)

• shortsxit34 - Mar 17, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I’m so confused.
        Why is a Bolt’s fan arguing against attendance figures?
        More importantly, why are you arguing 16th while supplying a link that says 10th?

• shortsxit34 - Mar 17, 2014 at 7:26 PM

OK, now I’m even more curious as to why comments aren’t showing up for 5 hours.

Same thing happened on Saturday to an article on Montreal. The article had no comments, then I posted a comment and it never showed up. Come to think of it, the first comments never seem to show up immediately after posting.

Sorry, tangent over.

2. Florio_Jr. - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Gary Thorne wishes FEDOTENKO would be on hand.

3. mgp1219 - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Do they get the Cracker Jacks, too?

4. slaugin - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM

When is St. Louis bobble head night?

5. nicofthenorthstar - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Amazing that Canucks are still just outside the playoff picture. If they find themselves in the playoffs, does Torts keep his job?

6. muttbolts91 - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Well said lightningstrikes04

7. marino57 - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM

For your info we average 18-19 K per game and are top 10 in attendsnce

8. muttbolts91 - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM

And the bolts set nhl records for regular season and playoff attendance. I think they have been broken though

9. orangeandblack67 - Mar 17, 2014 at 3:05 PM