Mar 17, 2014, 11:52 PM EDT
There appears to be bad blood between the St. Louis Blues and Winnipeg Jets and it boiled over Monday night.
The Blues scored twice late in the third period to take a 3-1 victory over the visiting Jets in a meeting of two Central Division opponents. Then, in the final seconds, a brawl erupted in the Blues’ end when Dustin Byfuglien took a run at St. Louis defenseman Roman Polak in the corner.
And it all broke loose from there, even as the Blues went up ice with a chance for an empty-net goal. Once everyone realized what was happening at the other end of the ice, players from both teams rushed in to grab a partner and it was on from there.
The brawl ended what was a physical meeting between the two teams, as they combined for 69 registered body checks. They also combined for 114 penalty minutes.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40