Mar 17, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Bobrovsky earned first star honors thanks to a 2-0-1 record with a 1.58 GAA and .950 save percentage last week, as the Jackets collected five of a possible six points and moved into third in the Metropolitan Division. Bobrovsky was huge in both of Columbus’ victories, stopping 39 shots in a 4-1 victory over Detroit, then making 32 saves — and more in the shootout — in a 2-1 decision over Minnesota.
Okposo, the second star, led all skaters with seven points last week — which included three multi-point games — as the Isles won two of three contests. The American forward had a career-high three assists in a win over Vancouver, notched two more helpers in a 4-3 loss to San Jose and then scored a goal and an assist in a win over Buffalo on Saturday. Incredibly, Okposo — who’d never scored more than 52 points in a season prior to this year — now sits fourth in the NHL with 69 points through 68 games.
Third star went to Niemi, who held off a strong challenge for the No. 1 gig in San Jose — from backup Alex Stalock — to win all three games last week, posting a 1.67 GAA and .950 save percentage. Thanks to Niemi’s strong play, the Sharks have now won six straight and are keeping pace with Anaheim for tops in the Pacific Division.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 12
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 23
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 55
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)