Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Vladimir Tarasenko was enjoying a hot streak for the streaking St. Louis Blues, but his ascent is now placed on pause thanks to hand surgery. The team announced that he’ll undergo a procedure on his right hand and that he’ll be re-evaluated in six weeks.
Which means that the 22-year-old will miss at least six weeks, so Tarasenko updates might be something to watch once playoff time comes along.
That’s assuming that his rehab goes well, of course, as this could also be an issue that sidelines him for the playoffs. His regular season is already over barring a (hockey player-like) recovery.
Heating up since New Year’s
It’s a shame for a young player who was really coming into his own for the Blues. He hit the 21-goal mark for the first time in his career, totaling 43 points in 64 games with the sort of plus/minus (+20) that likely leaves Ken Hitchcock happy.
Tarasenko has been especially effective lately, as he had a five-game point streak going, including on Saturday (when he was injured against the Nashville Predators). Stretching back to March 2, he scored nine points in eight games and only failed to collect either a goal or an assist once in that span. He’s been especially effective since the calendar rolled over to 2014, really, as he has 22 points in his last 25 games.
The Blues score by committee – they have four players with 21+ goals including Tarasenko, and T.J. Oshie is three tallies away from joining that group – but this loss still stings.
The team recalled forward Dmitrij Jaskin, who may get a chance to play as Oshie will skip Monday’s game to spend time with his newborn bay.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)