Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Vladimir Tarasenko was enjoying a hot streak for the streaking St. Louis Blues, but his ascent is now placed on pause thanks to hand surgery. The team announced that he’ll undergo a procedure on his right hand and that he’ll be re-evaluated in six weeks.
Which means that the 22-year-old will miss at least six weeks, so Tarasenko updates might be something to watch once playoff time comes along.
That’s assuming that his rehab goes well, of course, as this could also be an issue that sidelines him for the playoffs. His regular season is already over barring a (hockey player-like) recovery.
Heating up since New Year’s
It’s a shame for a young player who was really coming into his own for the Blues. He hit the 21-goal mark for the first time in his career, totaling 43 points in 64 games with the sort of plus/minus (+20) that likely leaves Ken Hitchcock happy.
Tarasenko has been especially effective lately, as he had a five-game point streak going, including on Saturday (when he was injured against the Nashville Predators). Stretching back to March 2, he scored nine points in eight games and only failed to collect either a goal or an assist once in that span. He’s been especially effective since the calendar rolled over to 2014, really, as he has 22 points in his last 25 games.
The Blues score by committee – they have four players with 21+ goals including Tarasenko, and T.J. Oshie is three tallies away from joining that group – but this loss still stings.
The team recalled forward Dmitrij Jaskin, who may get a chance to play as Oshie will skip Monday’s game to spend time with his newborn bay.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 4
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 57
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 45
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (61)