Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 PM EST
Vladimir Tarasenko was enjoying a hot streak for the streaking St. Louis Blues, but his ascent is now placed on pause thanks to hand surgery. The team announced that he’ll undergo a procedure on his right hand and that he’ll be re-evaluated in six weeks.
Which means that the 22-year-old will miss at least six weeks, so Tarasenko updates might be something to watch once playoff time comes along.
That’s assuming that his rehab goes well, of course, as this could also be an issue that sidelines him for the playoffs. His regular season is already over barring a (hockey player-like) recovery.
Heating up since New Year’s
It’s a shame for a young player who was really coming into his own for the Blues. He hit the 21-goal mark for the first time in his career, totaling 43 points in 64 games with the sort of plus/minus (+20) that likely leaves Ken Hitchcock happy.
Tarasenko has been especially effective lately, as he had a five-game point streak going, including on Saturday (when he was injured against the Nashville Predators). Stretching back to March 2, he scored nine points in eight games and only failed to collect either a goal or an assist once in that span. He’s been especially effective since the calendar rolled over to 2014, really, as he has 22 points in his last 25 games.
The Blues score by committee – they have four players with 21+ goals including Tarasenko, and T.J. Oshie is three tallies away from joining that group – but this loss still stings.
The team recalled forward Dmitrij Jaskin, who may get a chance to play as Oshie will skip Monday’s game to spend time with his newborn bay.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 0
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)