Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 PM EST
Vladimir Tarasenko was enjoying a hot streak for the streaking St. Louis Blues, but his ascent is now placed on pause thanks to hand surgery. The team announced that he’ll undergo a procedure on his right hand and that he’ll be re-evaluated in six weeks.
Which means that the 22-year-old will miss at least six weeks, so Tarasenko updates might be something to watch once playoff time comes along.
That’s assuming that his rehab goes well, of course, as this could also be an issue that sidelines him for the playoffs. His regular season is already over barring a (hockey player-like) recovery.
Heating up since New Year’s
It’s a shame for a young player who was really coming into his own for the Blues. He hit the 21-goal mark for the first time in his career, totaling 43 points in 64 games with the sort of plus/minus (+20) that likely leaves Ken Hitchcock happy.
Tarasenko has been especially effective lately, as he had a five-game point streak going, including on Saturday (when he was injured against the Nashville Predators). Stretching back to March 2, he scored nine points in eight games and only failed to collect either a goal or an assist once in that span. He’s been especially effective since the calendar rolled over to 2014, really, as he has 22 points in his last 25 games.
The Blues score by committee – they have four players with 21+ goals including Tarasenko, and T.J. Oshie is three tallies away from joining that group – but this loss still stings.
The team recalled forward Dmitrij Jaskin, who may get a chance to play as Oshie will skip Monday’s game to spend time with his newborn bay.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 13
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54