Mar 16, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
Ryan Johansen gave the Columbus Blue Jackets the shootout win over the Minnesota Wild on Saturday, although this play wasn’t free of controversy.
However, officials, after a review, deemed it to be a good goal. The Blue Jackets came away with a 2-1 victory as a result.
From the NHL’s Situation Room blog:
During the shootout in the Columbus Blue Jackets/Minnesota Wild game, the Situation Room initiated video review when the puck entered the Minnesota net. Video review confirmed that Wild goaltender Darcy Kuemper did not touch the puck during Ryan Johansen’s deke attempt before Johansen shot the puck into the net, therefore there was no rebound by the shooter on the play. Good goal Columbus.
According to Rule 24.2 “The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.”
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)