Mar 16, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
Ryan Johansen gave the Columbus Blue Jackets the shootout win over the Minnesota Wild on Saturday, although this play wasn’t free of controversy.
However, officials, after a review, deemed it to be a good goal. The Blue Jackets came away with a 2-1 victory as a result.
From the NHL’s Situation Room blog:
During the shootout in the Columbus Blue Jackets/Minnesota Wild game, the Situation Room initiated video review when the puck entered the Minnesota net. Video review confirmed that Wild goaltender Darcy Kuemper did not touch the puck during Ryan Johansen’s deke attempt before Johansen shot the puck into the net, therefore there was no rebound by the shooter on the play. Good goal Columbus.
According to Rule 24.2 “The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 100
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)