Mar 16, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres announced that they have summoned Nathan Lieuwen on an emergency basis.
Michal Neuvirth is dealing with a lower-body injury and won’t be available for tonight’s game against Montreal.
Given that Jhonas Enroth played between the pipes on Saturday, there’s at least a slim chance that Lieuwen will make his NHL debut. It’s slim because Lieuwen played on Friday and Saturday for AHL Rochester.
“Nathan Lieuwen has been a really outstanding surprise,” Amerks coach Chadd Cassidy told the Buffalo News. “He really is developing nicely and has taken the ball and run with it in terms of the opportunity that we’ve given him.”
He was taken in the sixth round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent most of the 2012-13 campaign in the ECHL, but he has stepped up this season with a 2.34 GAA and .922 save percentage in 32 AHL games.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)