Mar 16, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres announced that they have summoned Nathan Lieuwen on an emergency basis.
Michal Neuvirth is dealing with a lower-body injury and won’t be available for tonight’s game against Montreal.
Given that Jhonas Enroth played between the pipes on Saturday, there’s at least a slim chance that Lieuwen will make his NHL debut. It’s slim because Lieuwen played on Friday and Saturday for AHL Rochester.
“Nathan Lieuwen has been a really outstanding surprise,” Amerks coach Chadd Cassidy told the Buffalo News. “He really is developing nicely and has taken the ball and run with it in terms of the opportunity that we’ve given him.”
He was taken in the sixth round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent most of the 2012-13 campaign in the ECHL, but he has stepped up this season with a 2.34 GAA and .922 save percentage in 32 AHL games.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)