Mar 16, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres announced that they have summoned Nathan Lieuwen on an emergency basis.
Michal Neuvirth is dealing with a lower-body injury and won’t be available for tonight’s game against Montreal.
Given that Jhonas Enroth played between the pipes on Saturday, there’s at least a slim chance that Lieuwen will make his NHL debut. It’s slim because Lieuwen played on Friday and Saturday for AHL Rochester.
“Nathan Lieuwen has been a really outstanding surprise,” Amerks coach Chadd Cassidy told the Buffalo News. “He really is developing nicely and has taken the ball and run with it in terms of the opportunity that we’ve given him.”
He was taken in the sixth round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent most of the 2012-13 campaign in the ECHL, but he has stepped up this season with a 2.34 GAA and .922 save percentage in 32 AHL games.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 12
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)