Mar 16, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres announced that they have summoned Nathan Lieuwen on an emergency basis.
Michal Neuvirth is dealing with a lower-body injury and won’t be available for tonight’s game against Montreal.
Given that Jhonas Enroth played between the pipes on Saturday, there’s at least a slim chance that Lieuwen will make his NHL debut. It’s slim because Lieuwen played on Friday and Saturday for AHL Rochester.
“Nathan Lieuwen has been a really outstanding surprise,” Amerks coach Chadd Cassidy told the Buffalo News. “He really is developing nicely and has taken the ball and run with it in terms of the opportunity that we’ve given him.”
He was taken in the sixth round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent most of the 2012-13 campaign in the ECHL, but he has stepped up this season with a 2.34 GAA and .922 save percentage in 32 AHL games.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)