Mar 16, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres announced that they have summoned Nathan Lieuwen on an emergency basis.
Michal Neuvirth is dealing with a lower-body injury and won’t be available for tonight’s game against Montreal.
Given that Jhonas Enroth played between the pipes on Saturday, there’s at least a slim chance that Lieuwen will make his NHL debut. It’s slim because Lieuwen played on Friday and Saturday for AHL Rochester.
“Nathan Lieuwen has been a really outstanding surprise,” Amerks coach Chadd Cassidy told the Buffalo News. “He really is developing nicely and has taken the ball and run with it in terms of the opportunity that we’ve given him.”
He was taken in the sixth round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent most of the 2012-13 campaign in the ECHL, but he has stepped up this season with a 2.34 GAA and .922 save percentage in 32 AHL games.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 12
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 39
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)