Mar 16, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
On one hand, there’s the story that New York Rangers fans can’t dispute: San Jose Sharks goalie Antti Niemi was sensational against their team on Sunday.
They might dispute the fact that he shut them out, however. Consider this no-goal for Carl Hagelin, who was coming off his first career hat trick:
At 16:45 of the second period in the San Jose Sharks/New York Rangers game, the Situation Room initiated video review to further examine Carl Hagelin’s wraparound attempt on the San Jose net. No camera angles provided to the Situation Room provided a clear image of the puck completely across the goal line. As a result, video review was inconclusive, therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no goal New York Rangers.
With this loss and various tiebreaker situations in mind, the Rangers now dropped out of the Metropolitan Division’s top three, leaving them as the bottom East wild card as of this writing with 76 standings points. One can assume that the NHL will hear more about the goal review process after such a high-profile team was on the wrong end of it on Sunday.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)