Mar 16, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
On one hand, there’s the story that New York Rangers fans can’t dispute: San Jose Sharks goalie Antti Niemi was sensational against their team on Sunday.
They might dispute the fact that he shut them out, however. Consider this no-goal for Carl Hagelin, who was coming off his first career hat trick:
At 16:45 of the second period in the San Jose Sharks/New York Rangers game, the Situation Room initiated video review to further examine Carl Hagelin’s wraparound attempt on the San Jose net. No camera angles provided to the Situation Room provided a clear image of the puck completely across the goal line. As a result, video review was inconclusive, therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no goal New York Rangers.
With this loss and various tiebreaker situations in mind, the Rangers now dropped out of the Metropolitan Division’s top three, leaving them as the bottom East wild card as of this writing with 76 standings points. One can assume that the NHL will hear more about the goal review process after such a high-profile team was on the wrong end of it on Sunday.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)