Mar 16, 2014, 11:35 PM EST
With less than a month remaining in the 2013-14 regular season, winning against fellow playoff bubble teams matters … but winning in regulation is a much sweeter victory.
The Winnipeg Jets probably did so most emphatically, as they didn’t slow down after chasing Tim Thomas on Sunday, ultimately pounding the West’s current final wild card team by an eye-popping score of 7-2.
This win emboldens Winnipeg’s chances (even if only slightly) while making Dallas’ grip a little looser on that final playoff spot. Let’s take a quick look through both conferences to see where things are at heading into Monday.
- It wasn’t pretty, but the Vancouver Canucks avoided a loss against Roberto Luongo and the Florida Panthers, taking an important 4-3 shootout win. Eddie Lack exhales.
- Winnipeg’s win is good news for the idle Phoenix Coyotes, who are tied with the Stars points-wise, although Dallas has a game in hand. The Stars and Coyotes may very well have a playoff spot on the line when they meet in Glendale on April 13.
- In the upper ranks of the Central Division, the Colorado Avalanche stayed a point ahead of the Chicago Blackhawks after the Avs beat the Ottawa Senators 3-1 while Chicago bested Detroit 4-1.
- Meanwhile, the idle Anaheim Ducks still hold a game in hand over the San Jose Sharks. The Sharks won 1-0 against the New York Rangers to give them six wins in a row and 97 standings points (the same as the Ducks, who have played 68 games to San Jose’s 69).
Here’s the West outlook, via NHL.com:
Here’s an even quicker summary of the East action:
- In the bubble, Detroit lost some ground to the Washington Capitals. Both the Ottawa Senators and Carolina Hurricanes fell short against the Colorado Avalanche and Edmonton Oilers respectively, leaving their outlooks that much dimmer.
- In the Atlantic Division, the Montreal Canadiens won their game to leave them second in the division while the Toronto Maple Leafs squandered an opportunity to increase their breathing room at third. The idle Tampa Bay Lightning (first wild card spot) are only one point behind Toronto with two games in hand.
- The Metropolitan Division saw a little upheaval. The Philadelphia Flyers’ win against the Pittsburgh Penguins hurts other teams in the division, as the New York Rangers were pushed down to the East’s final wild card spot (thanks also to their 1-0 loss against the Sharks). The idle Columbus Blue Jackets’ playoff hopes look a little safer after losses for Washington and New York.
Need the numbers and standings? Understandable enough:
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:10 PM EST
“Is it his fault we’re losing? No. Did he build this team? No.”
Mar 3, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
“Matt’s priority is to remain in Anaheim for many years to come. Hopefully we can make that happen.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)