Mar 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
There were some logistical challenges to the postponement, so the league decided to handle the situation this way:
- Nathan Horton‘s 1-0 goal will stand. The assists will remain attributed to Matt Calvert and James Wisniewski, while other stats from that short period of time won’t count.
- Play was halted 6:23 into the first period in that postponed contest, but this game will feature a full 20-minute period, so that means it will be a full regulation game (and could also include overtime and/or a shootout, as well).
- The league notes that this action mirrors that made regarding Jiri Fischer’s collapse on Nov. 21, 2005.
This could mean a tight squeeze for two teams that could be in the thick of playoff races even that late into the season:
Here’s a full release from the NHL on the matter:
Last Monday’s postponed game between the Dallas Stars and Columbus Blue Jackets at American Airlines Center in Dallas, NHL Game No. 971, has been rescheduled for Wednesday, April 9 in Dallas, the National Hockey League announced today. The start time for the game will be 7:30 p.m., local time.
The original game, which was halted at 6:23 of the first period due to a medical emergency involving Stars forward Rich Peverley, will be played for a full 60 minutes of regulation time, plus any potential overtime and shootout.
The rescheduled contest will begin with the Blue Jackets ahead, 1-0 — the score at the time play was stopped Monday. A goal will be credited to Nathan Horton, with assists to Matt Calvert and James Wisniewski. All other statistics will be expunged.
Today’s decision mirrors actions the League took in rescheduling the postponed game between the Detroit Red Wings and Nashville Predators at Joe Louis Arena on Nov. 21, 2005, as a result of a medical emergency involving Detroit player Jiri Fischer at 12:30 of the first period.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)