Mar 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EST
There were some logistical challenges to the postponement, so the league decided to handle the situation this way:
- Nathan Horton‘s 1-0 goal will stand. The assists will remain attributed to Matt Calvert and James Wisniewski, while other stats from that short period of time won’t count.
- Play was halted 6:23 into the first period in that postponed contest, but this game will feature a full 20-minute period, so that means it will be a full regulation game (and could also include overtime and/or a shootout, as well).
- The league notes that this action mirrors that made regarding Jiri Fischer’s collapse on Nov. 21, 2005.
This could mean a tight squeeze for two teams that could be in the thick of playoff races even that late into the season:
Here’s a full release from the NHL on the matter:
Last Monday’s postponed game between the Dallas Stars and Columbus Blue Jackets at American Airlines Center in Dallas, NHL Game No. 971, has been rescheduled for Wednesday, April 9 in Dallas, the National Hockey League announced today. The start time for the game will be 7:30 p.m., local time.
The original game, which was halted at 6:23 of the first period due to a medical emergency involving Stars forward Rich Peverley, will be played for a full 60 minutes of regulation time, plus any potential overtime and shootout.
The rescheduled contest will begin with the Blue Jackets ahead, 1-0 — the score at the time play was stopped Monday. A goal will be credited to Nathan Horton, with assists to Matt Calvert and James Wisniewski. All other statistics will be expunged.
Today’s decision mirrors actions the League took in rescheduling the postponed game between the Detroit Red Wings and Nashville Predators at Joe Louis Arena on Nov. 21, 2005, as a result of a medical emergency involving Detroit player Jiri Fischer at 12:30 of the first period.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 3
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 12
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 22
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)