Mar 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
There were some logistical challenges to the postponement, so the league decided to handle the situation this way:
- Nathan Horton‘s 1-0 goal will stand. The assists will remain attributed to Matt Calvert and James Wisniewski, while other stats from that short period of time won’t count.
- Play was halted 6:23 into the first period in that postponed contest, but this game will feature a full 20-minute period, so that means it will be a full regulation game (and could also include overtime and/or a shootout, as well).
- The league notes that this action mirrors that made regarding Jiri Fischer’s collapse on Nov. 21, 2005.
This could mean a tight squeeze for two teams that could be in the thick of playoff races even that late into the season:
Here’s a full release from the NHL on the matter:
Last Monday’s postponed game between the Dallas Stars and Columbus Blue Jackets at American Airlines Center in Dallas, NHL Game No. 971, has been rescheduled for Wednesday, April 9 in Dallas, the National Hockey League announced today. The start time for the game will be 7:30 p.m., local time.
The original game, which was halted at 6:23 of the first period due to a medical emergency involving Stars forward Rich Peverley, will be played for a full 60 minutes of regulation time, plus any potential overtime and shootout.
The rescheduled contest will begin with the Blue Jackets ahead, 1-0 — the score at the time play was stopped Monday. A goal will be credited to Nathan Horton, with assists to Matt Calvert and James Wisniewski. All other statistics will be expunged.
Today’s decision mirrors actions the League took in rescheduling the postponed game between the Detroit Red Wings and Nashville Predators at Joe Louis Arena on Nov. 21, 2005, as a result of a medical emergency involving Detroit player Jiri Fischer at 12:30 of the first period.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)