Mar 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Chicago Blackhawks host the Detroit Red Wings at the United Center at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
It wasn’t too long ago that the Red Wings and Blackhawks were battling for supremacy in the Central Division. Now the two aren’t even in the same conference and while Chicago remains one of the best teams in the league, Detroit is a squad in transition, trying to rebuild while still somehow extending the 22-season playoff appearance streak.
That might not be such a daunting task for the Red Wings if they were anywhere close to 100 percent, but they’re not. They’re missing their two best forwards in Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg and that’s only the tip of the iceberg.
By comparison, Chicago only had one significant void in its lineup due to the absence of Marian Hossa (upper body) and it looks like even he’s probable for tonight’s game, per NHL.com. If he returns, Chicago will enter the game with six players that have recorded over 40 points in 2013-14. Detroit will start the contest with none.
Even with the odds so heavily stacked against them, a game against the Blackhawks might do Detroit some good.
“You know they’re a great team, they’ve been good for a few years now, so it’s going to be a challenge but we’re looking forward to coming into their building, it’s a fun building to play in.”
While the Red Wings are trying to claw their way into the playoffs, this game isn’t devoid of meaning for the Blackhawks. It’s a given that they’ll advance to the postseason, but they still have a legitimate shot at second place in the Central Division. The only problem is they’re going through a bit of a slump after dropping their last two games and five of their last eight.
“The last couple of (losses) were definitely winnable hockey games. Those are the games that bother us, me more than anybody. We didn’t play the right way to give us a chance to win,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago. Forward Patrick Sharp added that they’ve been falling victim to preventable mistakes.
Just as this match between old rivals might spark Detroit, this could be what Chicago needs to get back on track. One thing is a safe bet: these two points will be hotly contested.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:16 AM EDT
A round-up of scores from Friday’s NCAA action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Their in Vancouver to face the Canucks on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Crawford pulled in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT
Crawford was pulled late in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
That’s a blow to Calgary’s post-season hopes.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nine points since joining Florida.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Not a great start for Chicago.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
The club says he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New York plays twice this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
They play in Philadelphia on Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Feb. 24.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
“In the middle of the ice in our system, it’s a lot of work.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
And, quite possibly, for the remainder of the season.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Nail-biting time for Bruins fans.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)