Mar 16, 2014, 7:26 PM EST
For the most part, Roberto Luongo and those connected to the soap opera(s) that followed him can take a breather after Sunday.
After Luongo’s Panthers frustrated Cory Schneider and the New Jersey Devils to defeat on Friday, his new* team couldn’t manage the same feat against his former club the Vancouver Canucks, who squeaked by with a 4-3 shootout victory. If nothing else, Luongo, 33, is helping these games become more than just fodder for easy jokes.
And, actually, the jokes have been pretty good lately:
Eddie Lack probably let out a big sigh of relief with this win, as the coverage might have jumped a level to “insufferable” if his team failed against the East’s second-lowest-ranked franchise.
Maybe Luongo let out a sigh of relief, too, as most of these negative nostalgia meetings are over. Then again, there’s still one more to look forward to, as Schneider bids to finally beat his former goalie partner when the Panthers face the New Jersey Devils on March 31 …
Note: To say that the goalie storyline was the only thing to emerge would be incorrect. Beyond Alex Burrows finally contributing offensively for Vancouver, there was also Kevin Bieksa‘s impressive “save” to enjoy:
* – Which also happens to be his once-old team, to make things just a touch weirder.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)