Mar 16, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
For the most part, Roberto Luongo and those connected to the soap opera(s) that followed him can take a breather after Sunday.
After Luongo’s Panthers frustrated Cory Schneider and the New Jersey Devils to defeat on Friday, his new* team couldn’t manage the same feat against his former club the Vancouver Canucks, who squeaked by with a 4-3 shootout victory. If nothing else, Luongo, 33, is helping these games become more than just fodder for easy jokes.
And, actually, the jokes have been pretty good lately:
Eddie Lack probably let out a big sigh of relief with this win, as the coverage might have jumped a level to “insufferable” if his team failed against the East’s second-lowest-ranked franchise.
Maybe Luongo let out a sigh of relief, too, as most of these negative nostalgia meetings are over. Then again, there’s still one more to look forward to, as Schneider bids to finally beat his former goalie partner when the Panthers face the New Jersey Devils on March 31 …
Note: To say that the goalie storyline was the only thing to emerge would be incorrect. Beyond Alex Burrows finally contributing offensively for Vancouver, there was also Kevin Bieksa‘s impressive “save” to enjoy:
* – Which also happens to be his once-old team, to make things just a touch weirder.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)