Mar 16, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets chances of making the playoffs are slim, but they will look insurmountable if they don’t beat the second Wild Card seeded Dallas Stars tonight.
Six points separate these two teams, but Winnipeg has played in two more games and has just 14 contests remaining.
“This is our chance to get back into the fight here,” said Jets head coach Paul Maurice, per the Winnipeg Sun. “We did something exceptionally special to close the gap and I don’t think any team in NHL history has closed that gap.”
Maurice obviously isn’t referring to the Jets’ very recent history. They went on a 11-3-1 run that put them back in the postseason picture, but those efforts have been muted by their current six-game losing streak.
The Jets haven’t made the playoffs since 2007 when they were still the Atlanta Thrashers. Dallas has missed the postseason for five consecutive campaigns, so there’s plenty at stake for both franchises.
Or at least there is today. The importance of the Jets’ last 13 games largely hangs on their efforts tonight.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 21
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 33
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)