Mar 16, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets chances of making the playoffs are slim, but they will look insurmountable if they don’t beat the second Wild Card seeded Dallas Stars tonight.
Six points separate these two teams, but Winnipeg has played in two more games and has just 14 contests remaining.
“This is our chance to get back into the fight here,” said Jets head coach Paul Maurice, per the Winnipeg Sun. “We did something exceptionally special to close the gap and I don’t think any team in NHL history has closed that gap.”
Maurice obviously isn’t referring to the Jets’ very recent history. They went on a 11-3-1 run that put them back in the postseason picture, but those efforts have been muted by their current six-game losing streak.
The Jets haven’t made the playoffs since 2007 when they were still the Atlanta Thrashers. Dallas has missed the postseason for five consecutive campaigns, so there’s plenty at stake for both franchises.
Or at least there is today. The importance of the Jets’ last 13 games largely hangs on their efforts tonight.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)