Mar 16, 2014, 1:53 AM EDT
It’s a bitter rivalry, however, it has been recently owned by the Anaheim Ducks when it comes to the actual results.
The Ducks, thanks to the winning goal from Patrick Maroon, held on to defeat the L.A. Kings by a final score of 2-1 on Saturday evening. That’s three wins in a row for Anaheim over L.A., although there is one final regular season meeting on April 12. Three of their four meetings against each other this season have been one-goal games.
Maroon has a pair of game-winners against L.A. this season, too.
Of course, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that these two teams meet in the playoffs. But there is still plenty of hockey left to determine that.
As for Saturday night, the Kings, without Dustin Brown due to illness, did manage to put to an end the Ducks’ combined shutout streak of almost 150 minutes against L.A., dating back to Jan. 23. Tyler Toffoli scored on a power play, finally giving the Kings a goal against the Ducks.
So, perhaps that is a positive. Probably not.
For the Ducks, the win ends a turbulent week in which they lost to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames – they played “ridiculous” in that latter game – but then beat the Colorado Avalanche and Kings.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)