Mar 16, 2014, 1:53 AM EDT
It’s a bitter rivalry, however, it has been recently owned by the Anaheim Ducks when it comes to the actual results.
The Ducks, thanks to the winning goal from Patrick Maroon, held on to defeat the L.A. Kings by a final score of 2-1 on Saturday evening. That’s three wins in a row for Anaheim over L.A., although there is one final regular season meeting on April 12. Three of their four meetings against each other this season have been one-goal games.
Maroon has a pair of game-winners against L.A. this season, too.
Of course, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that these two teams meet in the playoffs. But there is still plenty of hockey left to determine that.
As for Saturday night, the Kings, without Dustin Brown due to illness, did manage to put to an end the Ducks’ combined shutout streak of almost 150 minutes against L.A., dating back to Jan. 23. Tyler Toffoli scored on a power play, finally giving the Kings a goal against the Ducks.
So, perhaps that is a positive. Probably not.
For the Ducks, the win ends a turbulent week in which they lost to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames – they played “ridiculous” in that latter game – but then beat the Colorado Avalanche and Kings.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)