Mar 16, 2014, 1:53 AM EST
It’s a bitter rivalry, however, it has been recently owned by the Anaheim Ducks when it comes to the actual results.
The Ducks, thanks to the winning goal from Patrick Maroon, held on to defeat the L.A. Kings by a final score of 2-1 on Saturday evening. That’s three wins in a row for Anaheim over L.A., although there is one final regular season meeting on April 12. Three of their four meetings against each other this season have been one-goal games.
Maroon has a pair of game-winners against L.A. this season, too.
Of course, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that these two teams meet in the playoffs. But there is still plenty of hockey left to determine that.
As for Saturday night, the Kings, without Dustin Brown due to illness, did manage to put to an end the Ducks’ combined shutout streak of almost 150 minutes against L.A., dating back to Jan. 23. Tyler Toffoli scored on a power play, finally giving the Kings a goal against the Ducks.
So, perhaps that is a positive. Probably not.
For the Ducks, the win ends a turbulent week in which they lost to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames – they played “ridiculous” in that latter game – but then beat the Colorado Avalanche and Kings.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)