Mar 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
At this point in the season, the Washington Capitals will almost certainly face a daily battle for playoff positioning, so their duty is to win … and in regulation if at all possible.
They accomplished that task on Sunday, beating the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-2 in a game that displayed a little bit of the dysfunction – and fun – that both teams have produced in the 2013-14 season.
The shot totals might highlight the two teams’ scatterbrained ways most simply. Washington dominated the first period, outscoring Toronto 3-1 while generating a 14-2 shot advantage. The Maple Leafs nearly reversed that in the second period, firing 20 shots to the Capitals’ 6. Washington moved the seesaw in the other direction one more time, eventually winning the shots battle 33-29 and the game 4-2.
For better or worse, it appears that Washington will indeed lean on Jaroslav Halak pretty heavily going forward; this was their newly acquired goalie’s fifth consecutive start.
The Capitals face a tough road ahead, with a three-game road trip against California’s three formidable teams followed by a second game against Los Angeles at home. Eight of their last 13 games are on the road, so grabbing these past four points in two games against teams about as playoff-desperate as them (Vancouver on Friday, Toronto today) could come in awfully handy.
The Maple Leafs remain four points ahead of the Capitals with 80 points to Washington’s 76, with both having played 69 games so far this season. Toronto won’t get a rest against teams fighting to remain relevant in the playoff bubble, either, as their next game comes versus the Red Wings in Detroit on Tuesday.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)