Mar 16, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
All the way back in April 2011, the Detroit Red Wings nearly ended the Chicago Blackhawks’ season in a huge game. The Minnesota Wild bailed the ‘Hawks out in an odd scenario, yet it still showed that the veteran Red Wings could foil the upstart ‘Hawks.
Even the powerhouse 2012-13 Blackhawks had trouble finishing off an underdog Detroit team in last year’s playoffs.
On Sunday, the role reversal seemed truly complete, with Chicago making life a little more miserable for Detroit this time around. The Blackhawks won 4-1 in an increasingly rare rivalry game between two teams now in different divisions and conferences.
Chicago improves its chances of wrestling the Central Division’s second spot from the Colorado Avalanche (another Detroit rival), while things are far more dire for the banged-up Red Wings. This loss keeps them at 73 points in 67 games played, leaving an increasingly small margin for error for a team desperately fighting to keep an outstanding playoff streak going.
It wasn’t all good news for the Blackhawks, however, as rising forward Brandon Saad left the game with an injury and didn’t return. On a night in which Marian Hossa looked fantastic in his return from an upper-body issue, that’s a little disappointing for the defending champions.
These two Hossa-powered goals should soothe those wounds, however:
Chicago and Detroit won’t meet as often going forward, but if Sunday is any indication, the two teams could still keep this rivalry alive.
Nov 1, 2014, 1:12 AM EDT
Scored the winner from a sharp angle.
Nov 1, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
Darryl Sutter spoke at great length.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:58 PM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Injuries piling up in Calgary.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
That’s four losses in a row for Columbus.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
This one got a little testy.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
No penalty on the play, for those wondering. Appeared clean all the way.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
Folks continue to rally around Mr. Hockey.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
What is going on with the defending champs?
Oct 31, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
He’s on the left in that photo. Doing what his old man used to do.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
Has been on quite a roll down in Utica.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Meanwhile, sounds like Carter Ashton makes his season debut.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The hit occurred seconds before Vancouver scored.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Oct. 8.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Could play Saturday against Washington.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
At the same time, Claude Julien admits the B’s “are still trying to find that confidence level that comes with winning on a regular basis.”
Oct 31, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
“I just haven’t come to that decision yet.”
Oct 31, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
When Philly takes on the Panthers in Florida.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)