Mar 16, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
All the way back in April 2011, the Detroit Red Wings nearly ended the Chicago Blackhawks’ season in a huge game. The Minnesota Wild bailed the ‘Hawks out in an odd scenario, yet it still showed that the veteran Red Wings could foil the upstart ‘Hawks.
Even the powerhouse 2012-13 Blackhawks had trouble finishing off an underdog Detroit team in last year’s playoffs.
On Sunday, the role reversal seemed truly complete, with Chicago making life a little more miserable for Detroit this time around. The Blackhawks won 4-1 in an increasingly rare rivalry game between two teams now in different divisions and conferences.
Chicago improves its chances of wrestling the Central Division’s second spot from the Colorado Avalanche (another Detroit rival), while things are far more dire for the banged-up Red Wings. This loss keeps them at 73 points in 67 games played, leaving an increasingly small margin for error for a team desperately fighting to keep an outstanding playoff streak going.
It wasn’t all good news for the Blackhawks, however, as rising forward Brandon Saad left the game with an injury and didn’t return. On a night in which Marian Hossa looked fantastic in his return from an upper-body issue, that’s a little disappointing for the defending champions.
These two Hossa-powered goals should soothe those wounds, however:
Chicago and Detroit won’t meet as often going forward, but if Sunday is any indication, the two teams could still keep this rivalry alive.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
That’s per L.A. GM Dean Lombardi.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Which leaves the question — would they make a move?
Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with Lehigh Valley.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Sep 1, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT
Veteran forward heads overseas after appearing in 600-plus NHL contests.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
He’s got plenty of potential, but he doesn’t want to get ahead of himself.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT
His first game against Boston is scheduled for Feb. 9.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
The start of his rookie campaign is approaching.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Who will take advantage of the opening?
Aug 31, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
The two have previously played together on the Czech national team.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Former coach Jeff Daniels is also staying within the organization after being relieved of his AHL coaching duties.
Aug 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Looking to score an AHL deal.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
You can expect this question to be asked throughout the year.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)