Mar 16, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Canadiens goaltender Carey Price returned from a lower-body injury last night that had sidelined him since the Olympics, but Montreal seems intend on exercising an abundance of caution when it comes to the star goaltender.
With that in mind, the Canadiens didn’t even want Price to travel with the team for tonight’s game in Buffalo, per the team’s Twitter account.
Canadiens coach Michel Therrien specified that Price was staying behind to rest and there’s no indication that he’s suffered a setback on Saturday. Price turned aside 30 of 34 shots as Montreal staged a dramatic 5-4 overtime victory against the Ottawa Senators.
Ottawa was ahead 4-1 late in the third period, but Montreal fought back, scoring the tying goal with 0.3 seconds left of regulation time.
Although it makes perfect sense to avoid using a goaltender that just returned from an injury in both halves of a back-to-back set, it does underscore how inopportune the timing of Price’s injury was.
Just one point separates second and fourth place in the Atlantic Division and Montreal only has 14 contests left in its schedule. Under normal circumstances, this would be the point where the Canadiens would be expected to lean heavily on Price, but it seems they don’t have that luxury yet.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 11
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 10
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)