Mar 16, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Canadiens goaltender Carey Price returned from a lower-body injury last night that had sidelined him since the Olympics, but Montreal seems intend on exercising an abundance of caution when it comes to the star goaltender.
With that in mind, the Canadiens didn’t even want Price to travel with the team for tonight’s game in Buffalo, per the team’s Twitter account.
Canadiens coach Michel Therrien specified that Price was staying behind to rest and there’s no indication that he’s suffered a setback on Saturday. Price turned aside 30 of 34 shots as Montreal staged a dramatic 5-4 overtime victory against the Ottawa Senators.
Ottawa was ahead 4-1 late in the third period, but Montreal fought back, scoring the tying goal with 0.3 seconds left of regulation time.
Although it makes perfect sense to avoid using a goaltender that just returned from an injury in both halves of a back-to-back set, it does underscore how inopportune the timing of Price’s injury was.
Just one point separates second and fourth place in the Atlantic Division and Montreal only has 14 contests left in its schedule. Under normal circumstances, this would be the point where the Canadiens would be expected to lean heavily on Price, but it seems they don’t have that luxury yet.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)