Mar 15, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
The injury to Ondrej Pavelec has forced the Winnipeg Jets to make a move.
The Jets recalled goalie Michael Hutchinson from AHL St. John’s to take Pavelec’ spot on the roster. As Paul Wiecek of the Winnipeg Free Press shares, Al Montoya will have to hold things down as the starter until Pavelec returns.
Montoya will get the start in at least Winnipeg’s next two games on Sunday against Dallas and Monday in St. Louis. This season, Montoya is 10-5-3 in 21 games with the Jets and has a .924 save percentage.
Pavelec left the Jets’ 4-2 loss to the New York Rangers with a lower-body injury.
Losing Pavelec might seem like a dire shot to the Jets’ postseason hopes, but he’s put up a .902 save percentage this season in more than twice as many games. While Montoya’s numbers are much better than Pavelec’s right now, the question is whether he can handle the load should he miss more than just the next two games.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)